PDA

View Full Version : Static Front Page Dynamic Content

beeoasis
08-23-2010, 06:52 PM
We'd like to have a static front page that welcomes visitors but that also feeds in our newest posts from our main category "Big Ideas." There are also lots of sub-categories.

How can that be easily done? We have no coding skills per se.

The WP version of our site is currently here, but will be moved to the main domain when it's ready. The old site is in Joomla.

http://www.beeoasis.com/beeoasisroot/

Cheers and thanks!

Joseph Poulshock, Editor BeeOasis.com

lynnth
08-24-2010, 03:54 AM
If you want part of your home page to be static but also include the latest posts, configure your home page to show posts rather than static. Then out the content that you want to act as static into a post and mark that post as "sticky".

thandy
01-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Lynn,

I didn't understand how to do this from your last post. Could you rephrase, please?

lynnth
01-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Under the WordPress reading setting select posts rather than static home page. Then do a quick edit on the post you want to make sticky and check the checkbox for making the post sticky.

thandy
01-18-2011, 11:33 AM
So, if I have an existing website that previously had a blog installed on a page called "blog", and I now want to convert the entire website to Socrates: 1) how can I configure Socrates in a way that I don't lose the "Blog" link/page?

I was considering having a static page or sticky post with headlines of the most recent posts appear beneath the static section on the front page and the full read of all blog posts on the "blog" page. 2) Anyways...how would I do that?

Dan Nickerson
01-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Just check out the options at Setting > Reading

You can just create a page called "blog" and make it your blog posts page, then put that page link in your navbar.

thandy
01-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Is there an easy way to import blog articles from one blog to my Socrates blog without manually cutting and pasting each one? Or, is there an easy way to copy blog files from one url to another url?

Dan Nickerson
01-19-2011, 12:00 AM
Tools > Import

Lou
08-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Just check out the options at Setting > Reading

You can just create a page called "blog" and make it your blog posts page, then put that page link in your navbar.

I know I'm slow, but I have tried to do this for the last 2 hours and cannot see where I am going wrong. I would like the front of my website to be have the static page, but have dynamic WPZon content beneath this static page. I have a website which I'm going to convert to Socrates which does what I'm finding difficult to explain. The site is at http://mp3andmediaplayers.com/

Thanks for your help. :o

lynnth
08-26-2011, 08:45 AM
On the WordPress > Settings > Reading page you can set a page to be the static home page. If you want a page that shows the latest posts like the normal WordPress home page you can designate it right below the home page.

Lou
08-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks for this reply.

I've designated the static page- www.electricscootersblog.com. Can the same static page also contain dynamic posts beneath it?

lynnth
08-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Not as a static page. For that you would use a dynamic (standard) home page and use a sticky post with the content you had in your static page. Search for "sticky" in the search box at the top of the forum if you are unfamiliar with them.

Lou
08-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for this reply