PDA

View Full Version : tutorials

coolbrie
06-14-2010, 05:00 PM
I purchased socrates theme and installed on wordpress. where do I find the Tutorials that came with the offer deal? I would like to review before I start creating my website.
thank you
brie

EHiatt121
06-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Here is a good starting place. It is a password area, which you should have gotten if not ask Dan for it. Its the download page and all the tutorials are in the right side bar.

http://www.socratestheme.com/downloads/download/

dossantos
06-14-2010, 08:14 PM
coolbrie,

Click "Members Area" above;
when there see ...right-hand side navigation "Categories";
...click "WP Tutorial"

Also you can follow Dan's advice...
If you don’t wish to use the Beta just yet, you can download our latest version 1.2.1.

Version 2.0 should fully release by 6/15/10.

I hope this helps!

Dos Santos

Dan Nickerson
06-14-2010, 09:26 PM
If 2.0 final doesn't release by tomorrow I at least hope to release another beta with some fixes. Our header system cross browser functionality is trickier than we anticipated.

lynnth
06-21-2010, 03:47 PM
When you purchaed Socrates you should have gotten an emal with the download link. I'm not sure what is causing the problems you are having with the download. There are many of us here who have purchased Socrates and have been using it. If nothing else look under the support section and see some of the issues that have been solved in the 2.0 beta release.

comnetorg
06-24-2010, 05:58 PM
I can not install Socrates Word Press Theme- I goto Themes and I do not see a add new theme, etc. button. Please help.

shanemeadows.wordpress.com

and I am not sure what to do????

Thank you in advance

cd2ebook@gmail.com

shane meadows

lynnth
06-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Shane,

To the best of my knowledge you can't install themes in the free WordPress sites on wordpress.com. You need to have a WordPress based website running on your own host.

comnetorg
06-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Thank You- I still can't figure out how to do this?!?
Embarrasing- I am going into my wordpress and when I hit theme, there is NOT a add theme- Also, I have Socrates 2.02 Beta on my dektop-
Any help is greatly appreciated,thanks l
smeadows
cd2ebook@gmail.com

Dan Nickerson
06-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Shane,

As we state on the salespage, you can use Socrates or any outside theme for that matter with Wordpress.com

You just need to get your own domain and hosting to install Wordpress software and Socrates.

You also can't monetize Wordpress.com sites.

dadsjerky
06-26-2010, 07:38 PM
I have successfully installed Socrates on an experimental insignificant url I have for that purpose-to play and get acquainted. I now want to convert our site www.dadsjerky.com over to Socrates. It is an ecommerce site and I will be directing all traffic to my Amazon store as I get most of my sales from there anyway. I wish to explore static pages vs blog format to make it look like a website, but my customers do want info so Socrates should be perfect. Is there a turorial that is good for what I'm trying to do? Suggestions?

EHiatt121
06-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Here is where I would start.

Turn off the line underneath the post title that says, author, time/date, comments. You can find it under Socrates>Layouts

Also disable comments. Hover over post title in your dashboard and click, quick edit. Look to the right and un-check the box that says, allow comments.

For examples of this take a look at www.mysocratestheme.com

For amazon store here is one of mine www.firefightershirts.net

dadsjerky
06-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Eric;

Thanks, that helps alot and your site looks good! My main plan is to take the keyphrases I know of that are big draws in our field and write articles if you will, like a niche website. What I believe that will work best is a combination of articles as an authority and reviews just to start, interviews are planned. Since our current website is 10 years old and we have a following as well as decent ranking (#1 on Google for one item), unlike your store, I will review an item as an expert then feature that item for sale next to or below the article. I believe Socrates could work for this. I do not however want to get too far to find out it doesn't. What is your take on this. And is this the best place to get direction on how to get the job done?

Thanks, Hank

EHiatt121
06-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Hank,
Thanks for the compliment. If I am understanding you right, you want to have a store of some sort and be the authority on a specific product with your own expertise and by doing interviews. That sounds like a good plan to me. If you have a 10 year old website and a following, it should work good. It falls into Joel Comm's plan of "like me, know me, trust me, pay me." Your followers will trust you and buy from you.

Now as far as my site goes,,,10 years ago I had a giant Gateway computer and was just happy to have a 56k modem. And as far as being an expert, I don't know that many T-shirt experts..lol. I could try and add content, but it is what it was, firefighter tshirts..

Also, I have only been really working online seriously for 4 months ;)

To answer your last question, Dan will have the best answer.