PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Simple Things: Tabs, pictures, video, text.

Timmy
09-21-2010, 01:26 PM
I have struggled with WP for about two years now. I learn, try, run into glitches and/or bugs, frustrate, give up.

I am having trouble finding just a beginning video tutorial here that gives a relative newbie just the basics that almost all marketers want on their websites:

1. Various fonts and text options.
2. Ability to insert pictures.
3. Ability to insert video content.
4 Ability to have tabs at the top of the page for other pages.

That is pretty much IT.

I understand plug ins are required for some, if not all of this.

But if someone could just give a step-by-step or video tutorial on JUST the above, it would be SO helpful.

Also, on how to get rid of certain things, like having the links set to the right as a default. I want my links under the header.

I'm not a total newbie. I'm just looking for the bare basic site set up in this sort of extremely common format.

If I can get THAT, perhaps I'll actually start to like WP, lol. I've always wanted to use it, but have thus far run into problem after problem. I'm shocked it's this difficult to set up a simple site. But I'm using Socrates specifically to help me overcome this.

Thanks.

Dan Nickerson
09-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Timmy,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Perhaps no one has responded because what you are asking for, you already have the ability to do.

Just watch our installation video to setup Socrates.

There's no reason to change font or text sizes.

The navbar tabs are controlled in Socrates > Navigation

To embed pictures just click the Media icon in the wordpress post section.

To embed video (for example YouTube) just grab the embed code from YouTube, and paste it into the HTML of your post.

To quickly find loads of step by step tutorials just use google.

Type in:

How to embed pictures in a wordpress post
How to embed video in a wordpress post

You'll find more in depth info.

What I also recommend is not to overthink your site. Just focus on quality original content. We made Socrates simple to setup and out of the box it's perfect for 99% of new blog owners.