PDA

View Full Version : Header Problems

Jack
06-09-2010, 01:23 PM
I have tried about 6 or 7 of the background images, and can not get any of them to work. I have my own BG image that I have uploaded and it will not work either.

I deleted Socrates went back to the WP default theme. Closed down WP then reopened and uploaded Socrates again. Same problem.

I also had trouble getting my custom header to work but I got that issue resolved.

Anyone got a solution for the BG image.

Thanks,

Jack

Dan Nickerson
06-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Jack, what are your repeat settings? Make sure it's set to repeat-both to display. What version Socrates are you using?

Jack
06-09-2010, 04:16 PM
I am using Ver 2. This is a new install not upgrading an older site. I tried different repeat settings, but not sure if I tried the one you recommend. I'll check that out and see what happens.

I am using Fire Fox.

Thanks for the reply,

Jack

Jack
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Dan, I changed that setting. It worked! It's beautiful - check it out:

http://jackbowles.com/internetmarketing

Than ks again,

Jack

Dan Nickerson
06-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Jack,

I'm not seeing a header or background on your site at all.. And, you're using WP Super cache, so that's probably what's causing the issues.

You need to disable WP Super Cache when working on your site.

Jack
06-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Is WP-Super Cache installed by default? I didn't activate it.

I'll check it out.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack
06-09-2010, 05:01 PM
It was definitely activated.

I deactivated it. The site shows up great on my browser. If you get a chance take another look and let me know.

Thanks,

Jack

bobm
06-09-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm having the same problem as Jack. Where do you find the WP - Super Cache? I'll try deactivating this if I can find it.

Thanks - Bob M

Dan Nickerson
06-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Bob, look in your plugins..

bobm
06-09-2010, 08:25 PM
OK - thanks for the quick response.

One more question. Is there a tutorial or information on the Socrates site about installing a forum like this one on your own WP blog?

Dan Nickerson
06-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Bob, while there are some plugin forums for Wordpress that will integrate with a Wordpress theme, we're fans of Vbulletin. So we just used Vbulletin's styling system to make it look like it's inside wordpress. It's really not.

bobm
06-09-2010, 08:41 PM
I checked plug ins and realized that I had not downloaded the WP-Super Cache plugin so my problem must be something else.

When I click on headers in the socrates menue on the bottom left - the custom page opens and I can see the different categories but none of the graphics appear active meaning they won't respond to clicking and I can't get any to appear in the custom bar above the categories so that I can add text. I click on them but nothing happens.

By the way - when you say that the header graphics are now dynamic - what does that mean?

Thanks again for the input.

Bob M

Dan Nickerson
06-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Bob,

Can you email me your domain and login and I'll take a look?

bobm
06-09-2010, 09:56 PM
what email should I use to contact you?

Dan Nickerson
06-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Bob...lol, we've been emailing back and forth for days.. any of those is fine.

cherylj
06-10-2010, 01:14 PM
I am having the same problem. I was having problems with the Widgets, was told to download v2, printed the instructions and followed them, have deactivated Super Cache and I cannot get any headers to work. There is a red x in the corner, and when I try to select a header, nothing selects. Solution? Thank you.

While waiting for an answer, I deleted and reinstalled v2 again. Same problem. Cannot get a header to work.

Dan Nickerson
06-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Cheryl,

What browser are you using, and can you try another one?

cherylj
06-10-2010, 01:30 PM
I use IE, I have always had to uninstall Firefox before when I tried to use it, but will try again just to solve this.

cherylj
06-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Yes, using Firefox solved the header problem. Of course IE doesn't work now, as it seems Firefox knocks it out in the ring...so I guess that is the price to pay to solve a technological problem. My favorites are saved so I guess I will let IE go. But thank you for the solution to the header problem. Now I will see if the widget problem is solved as well, which is the one I started with a couple of hours ago.

cherylj
06-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Yes, the widgets are now working too...or actually, not showing, not visible, which is what I had hoped for. Thank you for v2.

Dan Nickerson
06-10-2010, 02:19 PM
We are definitely fine-tuning the code for browser compatibility for final release of version 2.0, very sorry for the problem.

mainebob
06-10-2010, 02:48 PM
I had trouble making my header work and received a permission error.... Corrected by going to

cd /wp-content/themes/socrates/header-images
and then
chmod 777 uploads

Now uploads of headers work....
Next... Backgrounds
Unable to upload.... same permission error...corrected

cd /wp-content/themes/socrates/background-images
oh... go back a directory (there's no upload dir for bkgn)
cd /wp-content/themes/socrates/
chmod 777 background-images

BUG:
Now I can upload and see my file in the directory but
it is NOT activated or seen on the webpage.

My workaround is to choose a background from the listed ones, find it's name and substitute MY background by giving it the same name as the listed one.

Dan Nickerson
06-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Bob, Did you try another browser as well?

mainebob
06-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Hi Dan, Originally done with Firefox 3.6.3. Just tested with IE 8.0.7600.16385 . I skipped testing with Chrome until your next beta release.

bobm
06-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Yes - I tried FF and it seems to work OK but still not in IE.

Thanks - Bob M

EHiatt121
06-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Ok Dan, just switched another site over and here is a step by step what happened with my header.
When the site first comes up, the header picture is intact in place. Except all 3 leaderboards are showing and 2 overlap the content. Once they start rotating they work normally. And the primary sidebar widgets are way way down the page, past the fold. This is the same that happened couple days ago, that we talked about.

Now...after a few minutes, the 3 leader boards and primary sidebar widgets fix themselves, at that point, the link to the header picture shows as a broken link.

Hope this helps your team with the header issue.

Tamar
06-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Are you saying that these sites don't show up in IE?

Tamar

Dan Nickerson
06-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Tamar,

No, this is only related to our dashboard interface and header generator.. which is quite complex. Your site will display fine...

mwoods
06-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I am having trouble with selecting the header image. When I click on the header image to select it, it doesn't do anything. I am currently using Firefox.

Dan Nickerson
06-11-2010, 03:43 PM
It should work fine in Firefox.

Are you using Version 2 Beta or Version 1?

Have you tried another browser and have you tried restarting your browser.

If this doesn't work can you send me access privately via the contact form (http://www.socratestheme.com/downloads/contact/)and let me know what header you wish to use?

Rochelle
06-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Hi Dan,

Just an FYI - I am using v2.0 beta and am unable to change/add a header in the Safari browser. Works perfect in Firefox, though.

Rochelle

Dan Nickerson
06-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks, we're working on browser issues and we'll straighten out very shortly.

cherylj
06-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Hello, Yes, I've tried the suggestions so far:

disabled WP Super Cache

changed the code in two places to this.....
$custom_fields = get_post_custom($post->ID)

and also downloaded and uploaded one of the header themes in Socrates...still cannot get it to work

Any suggestions I missed?

I'd rather not download Firefox again to fix it if I can avoid it because Firefox creates problems with my IE.

The last time I fixed it, I downloaded Firefox, got the header installed, and then uninstalled Firefox.

Would like a simpler solution if possible.

lynnth
06-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Cheryl,

Jon posted a code fix in this thread http://www.socratestheme.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61&page=3 that did the trick for me.