PDA

View Full Version : Showing Post Excerpts on Home Page

ivettem
06-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Hey There,

I am new to the Socrates Theme and I was wondering, is there a way to show the posts on home as excerpts with a read more tag and then create a blog page and there is where all posts will live?

This is my site: http://diymarketingconnection.com

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ivette

Dan Nickerson
06-19-2011, 05:15 PM
We have a number of threads about using excerpts on the home page, but never to have two different home pages persay.

Your blog posts always live elsewhere.. in categories, archives, sitemaps, recent posts widget.

If you can explain why you wish to do this it might help us give a better answer. This is not something that's ever been requested.

If you're thinking you want a "magazine style" homepage, then you could hire someone to code a special template for you. Just check on outsourcing sites like Scriptlance, or Elance.com.

You would need to set that custom page template as your default home page in Settings > Reading.

You'd then create a blank page named "blog" and set that as your posts page in Settings > Reading.

ivettem
06-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Hi There,

Thanks so much for responding so quickly. I am sorry for the confusion but what I am looking for is to have my posts show up as excerpts on the home page, instead of having the full post.

Ivette

Dan Nickerson
06-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Just search using the google search box for "show excerpts" we have many threads on it.

Or just use the "more tag" via the post editor.. that's what 99% of users do to show show portions of their posts. It still includes the ads though.