PDA

View Full Version : Page is too short

GrahamFP
07-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Hello on my site http://vipLighthouse.com

For want of a more technical description, the 'page' is too short, i.e. the script on the pages continues on down below the Socrates logo and onto the background, which I have had to put to white so the text is legible.

I have just uploaded the latest Socrates Version. Everything else is OK, it seems.

Can you assist please ASAP as I don't want visitors seeing this.

Thanks

GrahamFP (I presume I will get a notification of any response)?

lynnth
07-01-2010, 09:12 AM
When other people have had this problem in the past it was a missing <div> tag in one of the widgets. Try moving the widgets into the inactive area one at a time and see if you can isolate which one is causing the problem.

GrahamFP
07-01-2010, 09:34 AM
I am moving widgets (lost content of first one as I moved it to the wrong area)! and notice that the page has got shorter, so length seems to be determined by number of widgets in my rh sidebar, does that indicate something I can now address directly?

Thanks

lynnth
07-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Graham,

Looking at the source for the page there does appear to be mis-matched div tags in the sidebar widgets. How does the page display if all of the widgets are removed to the inactive area?

GrahamFP
07-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Well take a look at it now http://viplighthouse.com it's gone shorter and the pages are listed where the widgets were. I wish I hadn't upgraded, it's just now that I am getting visitors following an event!
Any ideas?

GrahamFP
07-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Aha, I selected just the LHS sidebar and I have the page length back.

Maybe if I start again with the rhs sidebar I can sneak back to pole position without the gremlin noticing, watch this space!

lynnth
07-01-2010, 10:26 AM
When you remove all of your widgets from the sidebar WordPress displays a default sidebar. When I look at your site now it is behaving itself.

GrahamFP
07-01-2010, 10:28 AM
No go, doesn't like the two side bar option, the rhs one on its own is OK so something wrong, maybe a fresh download/re-install?

lynnth
07-01-2010, 10:31 AM
If you want to PM a temporary admin login to your site I can take a look for you.

GrahamFP
07-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Not sure how you PM here I replied to the email notification, is that OK?

lynnth
07-01-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm not sure where the reply would go. If you click on my name in any post it will take you to my profile page. On the contact tab there is a link to send a private message.

lynnth
07-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Graham,

I will have to defer to Dan and Jon. I can't see anything on your site that would cause that behavior. I did see that there is a broken image link at the top of your front page post. I'm not sure what you intended to put there.

GrahamFP
07-01-2010, 11:37 AM
I have reinstalled Socrates from a fresh download and used a standard header and replaced the page title etc but no joy. I am very anxious to get this fixed.

Thanks

davgree
07-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Hi,

I have the same problem, but it is fixed as soon as I stop using both sidebars, seems to be an issue with both side bars, even with no widgets.

I will settle for the right sidebar only on this site, no reply required thanks!

New version is looking great, well done!

Dave.

Dan Nickerson
07-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Okay, here's the solution.

http://www.socratestheme.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2070&postcount=9

Here's the issue.. for seo reasons we changed the layout structure... but if we hard code a fix it would mean changing the layout which could impact the seo of a 3 column layout.

So for now, this fix should solve the problem.. and we'll investigate it some more.

GrahamFP
07-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Well a relief to see it's not just me, so can one go back to a prev version until this is fixed I need the two sidebars!

GrahamFP
07-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the fix but I cannot find the bit of code. And not sure I am looking correctly. I go to socrates 'Header' section. Rt click and select page source, click on 'Edit' start typing your code in and can go no further than 'body '

Can you assist in the location please?

Dan Nickerson
07-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Graham,

This will just take a second to fix and you can use the latest version.

Inside your WP Dashboard goto:

Appearance > Editor

On right hand side, click on "header.php"

You'll see the source code appear on right.

Locate the body tag we reference, and replace with the new code..

Then save..

GrahamFP
07-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Hmmm. thanks for the directions, all fine until I tried to 'Update' then I got this message:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/fitterat/public_html/viplighthouse.com/wp-content/themes/socrates/functions.php:7298) in /home/fitterat/public_html/viplighthouse.com/wp-admin/theme-editor.php on line 89

Makes your (my) heart sink as this is rather deep stuff and one needs to get Filezilla our etc....

Dan Nickerson
07-01-2010, 01:07 PM
A lot of times the "cannot modify header" error can be resolved by simply reloading the page. Or logout and log back in..

It's unusual to see this on a simple editing update.

GrahamFP
07-01-2010, 01:13 PM
The system lied to me, I went back to try again and saw that the new bit of code was still there, so exited quickly before it could see me and checked the sit - hooray, all correct. Thank You! :):):)

davgree
07-02-2010, 03:44 AM
Thanks Dan,

That fix has worked fine on http://www.worcester-taxi.co.uk/ :)

I notice the the widths have changed from version 1, was this intentional? See this site on version 1 http://iphoneinsurance.org.uk/

Can I change the widths manually if needed please?

Thanks,

Dave.

Dan Nickerson
07-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Dave,

Sorry we had a miscommunication of sorts on the split layout design.

Check out this thread where Phil provides a solution.
http://www.socratestheme.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374

davgree
07-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks for that Dan,

Dave.

allenbog
07-18-2010, 12:59 PM
I was having the same issue with page length, which your header code change fixed, thank you.

I have a plug-in that stopped working with that small change though...
It's a plug-in I don't want to give up either. I'm not sure what to do here.
For the meantime I just switched back to the single sidebar, where the plug-in works fine. fyi, the plug in in question is the opt-in box that rises from the bottom of the screen. If you need me to send any code let me know I'll be happy to.
Thanks in advance for any help,

Allen

www.jason-fladlienproducts.com