View Full Version : Turning off Date/Time/Author on post

07-02-2010, 10:50 AM
In the list of new features it says that we can now turn off the date, time, author tags on each post.

I don't see where to do that.

Anyone know?

07-02-2010, 10:54 AM
On the Socrates layout page there is a selection labeled Post Display Settings

07-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Looked and looked and couldn't find it.

Thanks for telling me where!

08-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks Linnth I found the post for on and off right away but I can see it being frustrating for people learning WP and Socrates. It is becoming my stand by for web sites on marketing.

08-24-2010, 04:40 PM
I've found the setting for turning off the display for author and date, but this seems to work only for Default Profile. I have an Disclaimer Page and a Terms page that are cast on the No Sidebars profile, and they are showing the author/date.

Am I missing something?

08-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi If you are using Word press you may need to stop it there also go to settings >general. then set to custom setting and just leave it blank hope that solves it for you Yeah hit save changes:)

08-24-2010, 09:59 PM
I think I've discovered a bug and/or feature.

I can go to the Socrates/Layout panel and select Post Display Settings = Off, and that will remove the Author/Date from my Posts. However, will it also remove Author/Date from my Pages? Sometimes. If I use the Default Template for the page, then yes, that page will suppress the Author/Date line. However, if I select No Sidebars, the Author/Date will reappear.

It seems that Socrates Layout Post Display=Off does not work with some Page layouts.

08-24-2010, 10:02 PM
There is a response from admin in the bugs/fixes forum that shows how to remove posts from static pages that have no sidebars template. search that forum for "Static Pages looking like Posts" for the fix.

08-24-2010, 10:17 PM
In the Appearance/Editor, you have the ability to change the page layout php files. In order to suppress the author/date from a page with the No Sidebars layout, I have to go into the php and get rid of the "div ... post/author..." entry.

What is the best way to do that? I attempted to comment it out with /** */ as suggested in the header of that file, but it didn't work... just got an author line with /** in it.

How should I comment out stuff? Alternatively, if I delete stuff and screw things up, where do I find the revisions or original files for the layout php files?

Dan Nickerson
08-25-2010, 10:52 AM
First you have a backup simply by having the Socrates.zip file on your desktop. It has all our original files.

Next, before you edit a file just copy and paste it into notepad and save it in a Socrates folder as a backup.

When editing I have a tendency to just delete the full div line.

To comment out you would use <!-- in front and -- > at end

<div class="postAuthor">By <?php the_author_posts_link(); ?> on <?php the_time('l, F jS, Y') ?> | <?php comments_popup_link('No Comments', '1 Comment', '% Comments'); ?></div>

08-31-2010, 10:45 PM
What am I missing - I cannot find any mention on the layout page to take out date and author.

Specifically where is it?

Dan Nickerson
08-31-2010, 11:49 PM
What version of Socrates are you using? Upgrade to 2.03 if using older version.

09-01-2010, 12:10 AM

In Socrates/Layout, look for Post Display Settings, and check the Off button.

This assumes a somewhat recent version, so if it's not there, upgrade to the current version.

09-01-2010, 06:19 AM
It kind of hides in plain sight. Myself and many others have looked right past it, but its there.