PDA

View Full Version : Categories to show Full Post's...How?

Robbie
07-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi, I'm trying to set up my site so that the categories in the sidebar, when clicked on will show the full post and not the excerpts in...

- archive "category name" category -

I want to bypass the archive page and go directly to the full post!

Is this possible... and how would I go about it?

Cheers Rob

Dan Nickerson
07-03-2010, 10:58 PM
It's possible but it's highly unusual for someone to want to do it because of duplicate content issues.

Are you sure you want to do this? It could hurt you in the search engines, and impact your earnings.

Robbie
07-04-2010, 05:34 PM
I'd be interested to hear more... I had intended to set it up so that -

Category 1 - goes to - post1
Category 2 - goes to - post2
Category 3 - goes to - post3

So that the visitor doesn't have to click twice to get to the post!... I didn't make them pages because I had heard it was good to have the category included in the search ie - www.domain.com/catergorykeyword/postkeyword

How do you get duplicate content with the 1 post if you bypass the archives?

I'm still learning, so I'd be interested in your opinion on this, thanks.

Rob

Dan Nickerson
07-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Your post is one page

And you're then including the full post in another page, the category page. So that's where the duplicate content comes from.

You should always use posts instead of pages for any content you want to get indexed and categorized.. Pages should be used for non-important content like privacy, terms, contact pages.

If I would you I would just focus on best practices and not try to change the category display. Use the "more tag" and put your new posts on the main page.. use tags and good category structure.

Robbie
07-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Ok... thanks for that...

so if I wanted to keep the Home a static "page" and have my categories in the sidebar with recent posts in the sidebar as well... is there a way to keep certain posts visible, say the top five posts which are always there come rain, come snow?...

cheers rob

lynnth
07-05-2010, 03:35 AM
You can set some of the posts to be "sticky" which will keep hem at the top.

Robbie
07-05-2010, 06:57 AM
Thanks for your help guys, I've sorted it... works a treat cheers :)