PDA

View Full Version : sidebar layouts

neal
07-05-2010, 10:41 AM
I am new to using wordpress and socrates, and I am trying to figure out how to make it so I can change what appears in my sidebars on each page. Right now each page is showing the exact same sidebar. Help! You can look at my blog at www.larryandthelord.com. Its still under construction.

lynnth
07-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Usually the side bars do remain the same from page to page. Only the content in the center of the page changes. What type of changes are you looking for in the sidebars?

neal
07-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Hey lynn thanks for replying

I was looking at www.joelcomm.com at his blog and there are different aspects that change on his sidebar each time you go to a new page to finish reading his excerpts

lynnth
07-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Neal,

From what I can tell, Joel hasn't changed that site over to Socrates. He has had the site for a long time and may have tweaked that theme very specifically for this site. That being said, most of the difference I see in the sidebars from page to page is due to ad rotators in the side bars. They provide a different ad in the sidebar each time you visit the page. Often they are context sensitive so that the ads relate to the content of the page.

neal
07-05-2010, 11:40 AM
ok Thanks!

Dan Nickerson
07-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Joel has a very old blog and it's using Movable Type blog software.

It's so well indexed that he doesn't plan on switching to Wordpress.

And Lynn is right.. you need a banner rotator to make it look different.