PDA

View Full Version : Flip Header Images

Fili
07-07-2010, 07:07 PM
It would be nice to be able to flip the canned header images along the x or y axis so that for example:

1) Gradient could be applied as dark to light from right to left instead of from left to right.

2) Header image with design on left could be flipped to move design to right side so that the title could be entered on the left instead.

====

It would also be nice to have a third selection for "Gradient" instead of pick-an-image or upload-your-own. This would allow you to pick the two (or three) colors to use in the gradient, and the direction (horizontal, vertical, diagonal, radial, bump (reflected vertical), etc.

compusol
07-08-2010, 02:41 PM
It's simple enough to save any of the 'canned' images to your computer, apply the modification in any graphics program, Paint, Gimp, etc. and re-upload as a custom image.

I feel your third option would confuse far more people than it helped, the idea is to help users get a good looking site going as easily as possible.

If you come up with any great looking header images why not share them so that others could make use of your creativity :)

Fili
07-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Yep, I'm quite capable of modifying images if desired. My proposal was aimed at convenience -- both for my use and that of others. Having an ability to flip images inherently multiplies the number of automated images available in a far more easier to use manner than doubling or quadrupling the number of images shown as previews.

Perhaps it is indeed an "advanced" feature -- but to my mind that merely means fewer people might use it; not that it should be excluded as it would confuse too many people. My believe is that if the image flips when you click, and you have a good label or icon to convey the function, that it will be readily apparent what the tool does. If you're limiting features because you fear people will be intimidated or confused, that suggests to me that you need a better help, tool-tip, or other mechanism for making the site features as a whole more accessible to all.

Dan Nickerson
07-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Compatibility issues have already made our header system very complex, I would hate to mess with the system as it is by adding image manipulation functions.

There are online tools our members could use to flip headers and we could probably build one like this.. http://www.converthub.com/flip-image/ that would work outside of Socrates.

Unfortunately we can't please everyone and if we did double or triple the number of our headers by pre-making headers and uploading, we'd then have people upset that our header numbers were inflated, the header manager load time was too long, and that the headers were too much alike.

I will add this link as a resource, which I agree adds value.

http://www.converthub.com/flip-image/

Fili
07-08-2010, 10:01 PM
I can appreciate the desire to manage complexity. Sounds like a good diplomatic compromise. And I'd certainly far rather see the Socrates team work on features that cannot easily be addressed by direct use of other available tools.

Keep up the good work guys. I'm duly impressed with the product, and blown away by the quality and responsiveness of the customer support.

cryimage
05-05-2013, 11:18 PM
you can flip images (http://www.rasteredge.com/how-to/csharp-imaging/filp-image/)by using graphics app. it's easy and convinent. but if you can come up with something else. bravo