PDA

View Full Version : How about opt-in forms?!

dseisner
07-09-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm very surprised, that for a marketing theme, there are no built-in forms to take opt-ins.

The first I would be expecting to see is a sidebar widget.

The next I would be expecting to see is a slide up feature with an ability to customize the banner.

Both I think should work seamlessly with at least Aweber and Getresponse, Infusionsoft as well.

EHiatt121
07-10-2010, 06:41 AM
If you use the squeeze page template there is a spot for your opt-in code. You can also use a text widget to place opt-in code as well.

Dan Nickerson
07-11-2010, 12:19 AM
We do have a squeeze page template where you simply place your optin and video code. More templates are coming.

A sidebar widget would be redundant as text widgets work perfectly for optin code. We show users how to do this in our widget video..

http://www.socratestheme.com/downloads/how-to-use-widgets/
About 4 minutes in..

Slide up banners are overrated.. we've tested and they don't convert.

They were popular in 2009, but there's a reason why you see them less and less.. they don't work and are seen as obnoxious.

dseisner
07-11-2010, 04:00 PM
We do have a squeeze page template where you simply place your optin and video code. More templates are coming.

A sidebar widget would be redundant as text widgets work perfectly for optin code. We show users how to do this in our widget video..

http://www.socratestheme.com/downloads/how-to-use-widgets/
About 4 minutes in..

Slide up banners are overrated.. we've tested and they don't convert.

They were popular in 2009, but there's a reason why you see them less and less.. they don't work and are seen as obnoxious.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate the response.

Not to be argumentative... but just because you tested them and they didn't work for you, doesn't mean they can't be useful in some circumstances and that some people may not get favorable results. It would be nice to have the option and then test the results. No big deal tho, if you don't include it, people can use their own plugin.

The only reason I say this is because I also see you mention results in the exit popup thread that exit pops don't work that well anymore... I address that over there.

Dan Nickerson
07-11-2010, 05:13 PM
I agree that different kinds of popups can be useful on certain types of sites, but a niche blog is not necessarily one of them.

There are 100's of plugins with cool functionality that we could add to Socrates as options, but that wouldn't necessarily make Socrates better..

Just more complex which opens up more compatibility issues, support issues, etc..

LLFiggs
07-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Hello Dan. Non-techie question coming up: I need an opt-in form on the optional bar and watched the great video. Problem is I know nothing about code and don't have an existing opt-in code.

I wanted to use a contact page created in Socrates, but copying the page's code into the Text Widget only shows text.

Any simple not-so-technical solution for this? I've downloaded a few plug-ins, in the past couple of weeks, but the ones I've tried need some code changes, and I don't know how to do that without extremely simple and clear instructions.

Please help!

LaCharla
www.TLFiggs.com/wordpress.com (code 2Cit)

lynnth
07-21-2010, 02:43 PM
There is not enough room in a text widget for one of those contact forms and you would have to be selective of how much of the form HTML you grabbed. To be compliant with anti-spam laws you should be running what is called a double opt-in. This is where the visitor gets an email after opt-ing in and must click a confirm link before they are added to a list. Best bet is to use a service like aweber, constant contact, mailchimp, etc. Aweber has the best track record. Mailchimp will let you get started with no expense for the first 500 entries to your list. Once you are enrolled in a service they will provide you with HTML that you can paste into a text widget or the squeeze page from Socrates.

LLFiggs
07-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Thank you for the helpful tips, Lynnth. I've signed up for 1shoppingcart.com's email marketing services and believe I can use that service the way you describe. (Another techie thing I have to learn more about.)

There's also a WordPress plugin that's designed to replace the paid autoresponder services. Do you have any experience with anything like that?

LaCharla

lynnth
07-22-2010, 04:31 AM
No, I have not tried that plug-in. I've been using MailChimp myself.