PDA

View Full Version : Error loading/installing Socrates theme file

eagleslife
06-12-2010, 11:27 PM
i get this error message when trying to upload/install the Socrates theme as described in the installation video.

The uploaded file could not be moved to K:\wamp\www\wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06.

notes;
- i am using WP 2.9.x
- php safe mode is OFF
- using a WAMP development server on my PC hard drive (which i have used many times previously with no issues)
- all folders and files have proper permissions (i even tried setting them all to 777, full control)
- other WP themes install with no errors
- have tried stopping and restarting server and PC, did not solve issue.
- downloaded Socrates theme a second time, but that did not help either.

help please. thanks

how can i manually load/install theme if i can not get the WP automated theme install feature to work ?

Dan Nickerson
06-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Eagleslife,

I'll be honest, I do all my development online and have never used an offline development server myself.. Much like 99.9% of our customers

Hopefully our developer can respond to you and answer this question this weekend as I'm sure he'll have an answer.

I do know that if you setup a test wordpress install on a live domain you can have it working within 2 minutes from reading this.

Would you consider doing this until I can get a response from our developer?

eagleslife
06-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Dan;

Tks for prompt reply.

I'd much prefer to stay on my present track of using offline development server. This is how i always do my pre-production setup/design.

what are steps for installing the Socrates theme without using the WP upload/install feature ?? I can move/install the files manually if you will provide directions so that i get them all located properly. I've done it this way with some other templates over the years.

i would still like to know from your developer how to get the WP install to work, but hope you can provide a manual workaround in the meantime.

again, thank you!

Dan Nickerson
06-13-2010, 11:19 AM
You would install via FTP on a live site..

On a development server, I would assume you just unzip the folder and move the files into your "themes" folder. Making sure if you unzip that you don't create a second Socrates folder like /socrates/socrates/files...

eagleslife
06-13-2010, 11:45 AM
thks. i figured it out and manually transferred files.

again, appreciate the assist and prompt feedback