Please Read First
Troubleshooting Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
Before Posting Please Disable Wp Super Cache Plugin
When Posting Please Include Your URL.
Search Forum Using Google Search Box Above
Forum Video

Default AdSense question for pages

I am new to wordpress so I have a question for anyone who knows about wordpress. Can I add Adsense to pages in wordpress? I know you can add Adsense to posts using Socratesthemes but can you add Adsense to pages using Socratesthemes? I want to build about a 10 to 15 page site using wordpress and then start adding posts to the site.

Back to the question, can I add Adsense to pages using Socratesthemes along with the posts or do I have to by pass Socrates and use a plugin or widget within wordpress to add Adsense to pages?

Thank you,

Daniel

If you're new to Wordpress might I ask why you want to use so many pages?

Pages are really just for static content pages like contact, about, privacy, terms, sitemap.

Posts are a much better way to organize your content.

However you can add Adsense by using the html tab in the page editor. Just paste the code into the html.

Default AdSense question for pages

Thanks Dan,

I am just testing something out for myself using wordpress. I have some other static sites I've been working with. Now I just want to test a project.

Thank you,

Daniel

Default Adsense for pages

Dan,

I have another question for you.

I went into my pages editor to one of my pages and clicked the HTML link on that page. Is it the the /Code link in the HTML bar that I use to insert my Adsense code? If it is then is there a way to align or place my Adsense block in the location of my choosing?

Thanks,

Daniel

I have similar issue as I would like to have my adsense block on a page, which I am using as my homepage.

I entered the html and got the adsense block to post to the right, but I cannot figure out how to get the text to appear next to the adsense block instead of being pushed down.

Socrates makes it look great for my posts, of course. What do I need to add to the html to make it look the same for my page?

Here is my site: http://exercisesforlovehandles.org/

Thanks!
    Bean

Smile Yoast Recommends Using Pages over Posts

Yoast recommends using pages over posts. And it's for this reason that we set up our pages in this manner rather than making them posts (that is, so our site could be organized in a 3-tier structure and we could use breadcrumbs to organize our site logically as well).

So we do want to add google adsense to our "pages." I'd like to do it in a way that doesn't require me to get into the code. But since that's not an option it seems, I'd like to create a new template that's for content pages rather than the admin pages (about us, etc.). And really the "default page" template, for that matter, has comments at the bottom (and I think that's not appropriate with an about us or privacy policy, etc. page).

I do not know which is the "default page" in the editor (themes seem to have these named differently).

So, here are my questions:

1. I can figure out how to set up a new template. I just need to know which is the default page template (I'm new to WP).
    2. If I make new templates and make changes to existing templates, when I update Socrates, will my changes be lost?

I sat through Dan's whole 3:45 video hoping to get more advanced info (though I'm happy for the basic stuff, there were a few things I'd missed). And he said the information on creating a new template with the purpose of omitting comments was here in the forums, but doing a search really doesn't seem to be a very efficient way to find the answer to a quick question in under an hour).

Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by jencyn; 05-19-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jencyn View Post
    Yoast recommends using pages over posts. And it's for this reason that we set up our pages in this manner rather than making them posts (that is, so our site could be organized in a 3-tier structure and we could use breadcrumbs to organize our site logically as well).

So we do want to add google adsense to our "pages." I'd like to do it in a way that doesn't require me to get into the code. But since that's not an option it seems, I'd like to create a new template that's for content pages rather than the admin pages (about us, etc.). And really the "default page" template, for that matter, has comments at the bottom (and I think that's not appropriate with an about us or privacy policy, etc. page).

I do not know which is the "default page" in the editor (themes seem to have these named differently).

So, here are my questions:

1. I can figure out how to set up a new template. I just need to know which is the default page template (I'm new to WP).
    2. If I make new templates and make changes to existing templates, when I update Socrates, will my changes be lost?

I sat through Dan's whole 3:45 video hoping to get more advanced info (though I'm happy for the basic stuff, there were a few things I'd missed). And he said the information on creating a new template with the purpose of omitting comments was here in the forums, but doing a search really doesn't seem to be a very efficient way to find the answer to a quick question in under an hour).

Thanks for your time!
    ****addendum: I did find in a WP forum that index.php is the default template. I'll assume this, and try to work this. (I come from the html world). I'm still curious about your reactions to my other comments though.

Default Answers to some of my questions

I did find this thread, which answered many of my questions (though I couldn't figure out where to disable comments according to the new version):

http://www.socratestheme.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1401

I created a new template by taking the index.php, uploading is as pagenocomments.php, renaming the template "page no comments" by adding this in place of index.php at the top:

* @File pagenocomments.php
    Template Name: Page No Comments
    */

Then I deleted top comments as instructed in the thread at the top. The problem is deleting the comment box at the bottom. You do this by deleting these lines:

<?php if ( count( get_the_category() ) ) : ?>
    <span class="cat-links">
    <?php printf( __( '<span class="%1$s">Posted in</span> %2$s', 'socrates' ), 'entry-utility-prep entry-utility-prep-cat-links', get_the_category_list( ', ' ) ); ?>
    </span>
    <span class="meta-sep">|</span>
    <?php endif; ?>
    <?php
    $tags_list = get_the_tag_list( '', ', ' );
    if ( $tags_list ):
    ?>
    <span class="tag-links">
    <?php printf( __( '<span class="%1$s">Tagged</span> %2$s', 'socrates' ), 'entry-utility-prep entry-utility-prep-tag-links', $tags_list ); ?>
    </span>
    <span class="meta-sep">|</span>
    <?php endif; ?>
    <span class="comments-link"><?php comments_popup_link( __( 'Share Your Story', 'socrates' ), __( '1 Comment', 'socrates' ), __( '% Comments', 'socrates' ) ); ?></span>
    <?php edit_post_link( __( 'Edit', 'socrates' ), '<span class="meta-sep">|</span> <span class="edit-link">', '</span>' ); ?>

and

<div class="commentsFrame"><?php comments_template() ?></div>

Why not just use an Adsense plugin that works on pages?

Try the Adsense Now plugin

Seems like a much simple solution.