Troubleshooting Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
Before Posting Please Disable Wp Super Cache Plugin
When Posting Please Include Your URL.
Search Forum Using Google Search Box Above
Forum Video

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Hi Dan

Please note that my name is Nickolove - not "Nicko".

And the changes I've made to the header are NOT showing.

I changed the font and the colour and these changes are not showing. It also took ages for the header title to show at all. I don't want the header to be white with an outline - it's hardly effective against a white background.

I really want to get this issue resolved. I've spent hours trying to sort this out when it should have taken minutes. And I don't want to start another site and encounter the same issues.

Nickolove

Nickolove, I apologize if I offended you. It was not my intention.

As you are using the beta we are still testing things.

Your header title is also a hyperlink and if you click on the about page (from sidebar, not from nav bar because you haven't setup permalinks) You will see the header title in your color of choice.

This issue was fixed with our latest beta released last night. You just need to download the latest zip file from the members area.. it can be resolved in a few seconds with a quick upgrade.

http://www.socratestheme.com/downloads/download

Just make sure you save any custom headers or backgrounds before reinstalling.

I'm sorry you spent hours sorting this out..

If you'd like to me reinstall for you I can as well.

Thanks, Dan.

It wasn't just issues with the header text but also simply uploading the header. However, when I switched browsers from IE to Firefox that resolved that issue.

I've reinstalled Socrates again and from what I can see the other challenges I was experiencing seem to have been ironed out. I have a class to teach in a few minutes and so won't be able to spend any more time on this now.

I appreciate that the version of Socrates I'm using in still in Beta - it's just frustrating when you're eager to get up and running and then glitches occur which stall your momentum.

Best wishes

Nickolove

beta = glitches

Default Problems with Socrates this morning

I'm having terrible problems with Socrates this morning. Have built multiple sites with it over the last couple months without issue but this morning no changes I make in the Socrates admin panel have any effect at all.

I've deactivated "super cache", I've uninstalled and reinstalled the theme...and no not the beta. I was using the original release 1.0 now I guess I have 1.2.? but not the beta version...please help...it lets me upload my custom header graphic but the graphic will not show up at all. Of course nothing else is working in the admin panel either. Currently have another theme installed on the site because I need the site up.

Please help.

Cool "Redirection" Plugin Issue

Just a quick note regarding this plugin. First off, it is a great plugin and worth its weight anwhere. However, If you are relatively new to Wordpress and even newer to Socrates, I would recommend deactivating the plugin until you have your blog nicely settled in.

Often newbies are playing around with SEO and changing titles and categories etc. When you do that, you will likely also be fooling around with Socrates navigation module. "Redirection" will conflict with this feature! I spent three hourse before I finally clued in to what was going on. I created a sales page and then later decided to ditch it. "Redirection" then took over and any time I tried to access the root of my blog, it would redirect to this page that was no longer there. As a result, I constantly got the 404 error. So do all of your fixing and tweeking before you activate "Redirection"!

I bought Socrates probably 35 seconds after getting the original email on it. After ten years of internet marketing, I realized a chunk of GOLD when I saw it. This theme is in my learned opinion - THE BEST PIECE OF SOFTWARE to come onto the scene in a long time! And I am betting that it will only get better with time.

I create header graphics in about 1 minute with Xara Xtreme Pro and I am just ecstatic to be able to use Socrates to switche hearders. No more editing css files! You guys rock!

Nick

What browser are you using?
    What plugins do you use? List them all.

Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by brantley whitley View Post
    I'm having terrible problems with Socrates this morning. Have built multiple sites with it over the last couple months without issue but this morning no changes I make in the Socrates admin panel have any effect at all.

I've deactivated "super cache", I've uninstalled and reinstalled the theme...and no not the beta. I was using the original release 1.0 now I guess I have 1.2.? but not the beta version...please help...it lets me upload my custom header graphic but the graphic will not show up at all. Of course nothing else is working in the admin panel either. Currently have another theme installed on the site because I need the site up.

Please help.

Firefox...that's it. Never use any other...if it won't work on Firefox I don't see the point in using it all...lots of people use firefox and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterxMedia View Post
    What browser are you using?
    What plugins do you use? List them all.

Nick.

I'm not criticizing Firefox. It is just that to analyze a problem one needs all of the important details. Flock, for example, is the firefox core but better. All Firefox plugins work with flock and I think flock is faster.

I really doubt that there is an issue with Socrates. I've reviewed the code and the CSS is superbly written. Anyone with that level of details is unlikely to make a bug that causes what you are experiencing.

I would suspect a corrupt cache in Firefox. To be sure, install Flock and test it. If it does the same then uninstall it. If it is NOT a corrupt cach in FF, then I would still need to see the list of plugins to guess at what else might be creating the issue.

For example, do you have any other 3rd party caching plugin?
    Have you edited any of the css files manually?

N.
    Quote Originally Posted by brantley whitley View Post
    Firefox...that's it. Never use any other...if it won't work on Firefox I don't see the point in using it all...lots of people use firefox and love it.

Not sure if this is really relevant but, kinda I talked about in another post. Coming from a semi-newbie, I've learned a lot the last 3 months and I feel I am semi-noob now, in my opinion it might be safer to use KISS rules.

Don't get me wrong, I am positive there are advanced techniques that work great and quite effective for your sites. But I just have to believe that sometimes less is more and if Dan and his team felt that something needed to be added to the theme, then they put it in there. Like I said, if the Marines wanted me to have a wife, they would have issued me one.

Again, I am no one special, I keep my sites pretty basic and following what the theme gives me for the most part and my sites are picking up steam. Most are in the top 5 pages of google searches and steadily climbing.

Just seems that the more people try to get fancy, the more problems arise. Again, my opinion, my .02 cents.