Troubleshooting Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
Before Posting Please Disable Wp Super Cache Plugin
When Posting Please Include Your URL.
Search Forum Using Google Search Box Above
Forum Video

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Who is your webhost?

I totally agree with you that you should have all the features and bug fixes available to you.

But if you're happy with your current site, they are not urgent. I would like to do another update later this fall with more features. So my point is I'd rather have those happy with their current install to wait.. because undoubtedly another update is around the corner.

Because you are one of the only customers we've had with persistent issues I would be happy to give you a refund and still allow you to use the theme.

Default Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Who is your webhost?

I totally agree with you that you should have all the features and bug fixes available to you.

But if you're happy with your current site, they are not urgent. I would like to do another update later this fall with more features. So my point is I'd rather have those happy with their current install to wait.. because undoubtedly another update is around the corner.

Because you are one of the only customers we've had with persistent issues I would be happy to give you a refund and still allow you to use the theme.
    Thank you for the offer but absolutely not! I think it is a great theme and well worth what I paid for it. I simply think it should be easier for me to install than it is. My host is Servint and I have a VPS account. After I deleted the previous install, I simply emailed them and they restored everything to last nights backup. They are a really great host. No charge for such services as I just requested whereas Hostgator charges for a restore.

I have a simple pair of questions. If I choose to simply ftp the unzipped Socrates folder, is there a recommendation for the settings of permissions? That is where I had all of the previous problems after uploading unzipped files (following the failure of the "Install new themes" option. Some where in the forum, I think I read where the person had problems with a WP install from Fantastico (That is what I have.) Are the problems unique to this type of installation.

If you upload via FTP the only thngs you really should need to FTP are

/header-images 755
    /header-images/uploads 755 or 777
    /background-images/ 755

The rest should work,

Sometimes with Fantastico installs on certain hosts the wp-content/upgrades folder doesn't have permissions set right..

It can usually be fixed by deleting the upgrades folder then recreating it and setting permissions to 777

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    If you upload via FTP the only thngs you really should need to FTP are

/header-images 755
    /header-images/uploads 755 or 777
    /background-images/ 755

The rest should work,

Sometimes with Fantastico installs on certain hosts the wp-content/upgrades folder doesn't have permissions set right..

It can usually be fixed by deleting the upgrades folder then recreating it and setting permissions to 777
    Thanks, I am playing around with a test site now. I appreciate the quick responses.

Hello Rick

I did have some issues similar to what you are experiencing when upgrading, although not with the yellow gradient, what I did do was follow Lynn's advice which worked like a charm, copied below here again:

You need to save your header to your local machine if you are using a custom header and don't already have it. Then select a different theme, delete socrates and then upload then new version.

I had not made any css changes, nor had I a custom header on that particular blog, so following Lyn's advice, all I had to do was re upload the header, and that was it done and dusted. I am sure you already know to backup all files first just in case, and also do a database backup

Hope this helps a little Rick, but it was the path which worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by rickblackmon View Post
    I read the "I clearly state..." message, still there is an upgrade with bug fixes, features,etc that I paid for and should be able to avail myself of. I have had this same problem on each install of the package. With all due respect, your installing it doesn't solve the problem. There is something inherently wrong with the install process when it causes as many problems as this does. As I said, I really like the theme but it shouldn't be this hard to install.

Insofar as the space is concerned, I am on a VPS and have 1gb of server space for this package and have used 17mb, so space is not a problem.
    Cheers, Gordon

Default upgrading problems

Hostmonster now uses Simple Scripts so I downloaded 2.03 and was in the process of building the site.
    Now I want to upgrade to 2.0 but there is no spot that says 'activate another theme' when I go to Appearances.
    I can bring up the Socrates 2.03 theme but when I try to download the 2.1 it won't load over the top of it.
    I see by some of the other threads they talk about ftp but if this is what I'm supposed to be using now then I'm a little lost in the details.
    Any help on this possible?
    Thanks,
    Joe

In your WordPress dashboard under Appearance / Themes there are tabs for manage theme and install theme. Selecting another theme is under the Manage tab. Just select the default theme. Then you can delete the existing Socrates Theme and install the new one per the upgrade instructions.
    Lynn T. Harrison
    Ever Evolving Enterprises
    LynnTHarrison.com (my blog on using WordPress) Testimonials appreciated

Thanks, I've found and done that.

But...when I click on Themes, all that will come up is the same page that is showing for the themes on WP.

In other words, there are no other choices.

Joe

Just quickly install another theme using the popular or newest tab.. then activate it.. delete Soc and reinstall. Can all be done in 30 seconds

Default installing version 2.2.15 error

This the error I get

Unable to create directory /home/renagade/public_html/wp-content/uploads/2011/11. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

What can I do to solve this

Thank you
    Claude
    Claude
    Anyone who stops learning is old,
    whether at twenty or eighty.
    Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
    The greatest thing in life is to keep
    your mind young.
    http://www.retiredrenegade.com