Please Read First
Troubleshooting Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
Before Posting Please Disable Wp Super Cache Plugin
When Posting Please Include Your URL.
Search Forum Using Google Search Box Above
Forum Video

Default Help with Migration of Blog

As Dan can attest, I am not a technical person at all, so that is why I am posting this for anyone who can help me.

You see, I created a blog using Socrates & I now need to migrate the contents over to another url without braking the permalinks, pages, etc.

A friend of mine helped create a backup in my C=Panel with my hosting account. It is a shared acct, but it has a dedicated IP.

Should I get a reseller acct for this site? The traffic won;t be too much, since it's a small business.

I understand that the last thing I need to do for the migration is change the Domain Name Server (DNS), but...

What do I do before that?

This is the last note I got from my friend:
    "I wouldn't do anything until you log in and check all the settings and everything. The database dump is not 100% accurate since tons of info in the database refer to XXX. Ordinarily we would just replace that with the new domain name or IP address, but that wasn't an option."

The settings that they are referring to are Socrates' settings.

Can someone please help me with this migration? I need to deliver this blog I created to my client and am stuck.

Thanks so much!

-Kevin

See if this post helps: http://lynntharrison.com/flipping-a-wordpress-website/
    You should do a complete backup of the wordpress database (including the tables used by Socrates). Where ever you registered the domain will have a spot in their control panel to set the DNS nameservers to point the domain at the correct hosting.
    Lynn T. Harrison
    Ever Evolving Enterprises
    LynnTHarrison.com (my blog on using WordPress) Testimonials appreciated

If you are doing this for a client you may be able to cover the cost of a cloning program which will make your life so much easier.

There's a couple around:

http://csgl.net/wptwin

http://csgl.net/wp_cloner

Both are created by people who know what they are doing so you shouldn't have any problems moving/copying your blog.

The benefit of doing it this way is that you have the software for future use if you need to do the same thing again (also makes backing up your blogs a breeze)
    Phil Horsepool
    Creative Web Design
    Web Design and SEO Services
    for Marketers and Small Businesses

Video Brander Software - Free Trial Copy

Create Explosive Backlinks - Free Download

Default Thanks

I will look into those. Thank you so much!