Please Read First
Troubleshooting Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
Before Posting Please Disable Wp Super Cache Plugin
When Posting Please Include Your URL.
Search Forum Using Google Search Box Above
Forum Video

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pages & Margins & Wiedgets, Oh My!

A few suggestions:

For pages (not posts) delete author & comment info at the top as the default.

Give users the option of easily increasing the white space between the edge of the page and the text.

There are light gray lines that divide the sidebars from the page. When widgets in the sidebar extend beyond the page text, the dividing lines stop. Make the lines extend to the bottom of the page, regardless of the length of the text.

Eliminate those annoying default widgets in the sidebars and allow users to insert the ones they want instead.

Provide an option for adding frames around widgets.

Offer an easy-to-use option for adding background color to the sidebars that goes all the way down the page, regardless of where the last widget in the bar stops. (When I added color, the color stopped behind the last widget. The page went below that; so it looked awful.)

Thank you for the chance to offer ideas!

LaCharla

LaCharla Figgs
    www.TLFiggs.com
    www.BessLee.com
    Last edited by LLFiggs; 10-13-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Addition & Correction

We will probably add a per page option to remove date/comments

The padding can be increased in the css, but I agree it could be increased a few pixels by default.

I would need to see this sidebar gray line issue.. not seen that happen.

Just dragging one widget to sidebar overrides default widgets.

Frames around widgets can be added in CSS... but it looks strange when done.

To get background to work, just find color code of bottom of gradient.

Most are white.. And then change styling background to match that color and background repeat to repeat-x.

Hello Dan. Thank you for responding. (Didn't know the Suggestions section got replies.)

Here is an example of the lines separating the sidebars not extending past the page text: http://besslee.com/scrapblog/

By contrast, the lines look perfect on this page: www.BessLee.com.

About the frames: I was thinking about a simple-to-use option for "kindergarten-skill" web designers if possible. When a user creates frames, the layout would look better if the soft lines separating the sidebars from the page were turned off.

Didn't understand your instructions about the sidebar background color, but I don't need it for myself anymore. I discovered that I could create colorful sidebar widgets in the white sidebar and like that look.

Thanks again for all the Socrates team does. Yesterday I got a compliment on my newest site and the question, "Did you design this yourself?" The person who asked was the same person who suggested that I consider Socrates--which he also uses! Priceless. (If he's an affiliate, he didn't mention it.)

Happy Thursday,
    LaCharla

www.TLFiggs.com
    www.BessLee.com

The graylines issue is a css issue due to the small amount of content on the page.. It's really rare this is going to happen, but if this was a static blog and you always wanted to keep it like that you could change the css/stylebothsides.css file to correct for this one site.

I would like to reach out to some premium theme designers to see what kind of skins they could come up with for Socrates.. If so, we'll have more options for sidebar layouts etc.

Glad you're getting compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    The graylines issue is a css issue due to the small amount of content on the page.. It's really rare this is going to happen, but if this was a static blog and you always wanted to keep it like that you could change the css/stylebothsides.css file to correct for this one site.

I would like to reach out to some premium theme designers to see what kind of skins they could come up with for Socrates.. If so, we'll have more options for sidebar layouts etc.

Hi Dan, could you explain the highlighted suggestion please? Kindergarten style?

Thanks,
    LaCharla

LaCharla,

Do you plan on adding more content to that page. Because the point is moot if so. It will be fine with more content.. It's only happening because your have more banner ad than content.

LaCharla,

Do you plan on adding more content to that page. Because the point is moot if so. It will be fine with more content.. It's only happening because your have more banner ad than content.
    I understand.This page is different from the others: Since I chose a static Home page, the instructions I found req'd that I create this blank Page in order to place a blog tab on the nav bar.

Sounds like adding a blog post or two will resolve this. Yes?

LaCharla

Absolutely... and it looks like you planned to, so that's why I'm balking at making the change.

This is only happening because your sidebar banner is bigger than your main content.

Absolutely... and it looks like you planned to, so that's why I'm balking at making the change.

This is only happening because your sidebar banner is bigger than your main content.

Great! That answers the problem nicely. Always great when the solution is to do nothing!!!

Cheers and good night, Dan. Thank you for working late to help us!

LaCharla

Default Removing the grey lines

I saw somewhere you'd talked about this but what I want know is how do I get rid of them? I've got the 2.2.14 version.

You can see a vertical grey line all along the sidebar and between sidebars.

http://www.magniworkk.com