Please Read First
Troubleshooting Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
Before Posting Please Disable Wp Super Cache Plugin
When Posting Please Include Your URL.
Search Forum Using Google Search Box Above
Forum Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Links in navigation bar keep Un-Publishing?

Hi Dan. I have several Socrates sites now and I'm finding that the links in the navigation bars keep 'un-publishing' themselves. I get the error 404 page instead.

If I go back into the socrates panel and re-publish/save they work again.

This is very time consuming and worrying incase it's a hacking problem and not a socrates problem.

I have several old blogs with wordpress and it's not happened with them so it does seem peculiar to socrates - do you know anything that might help?

Simple solutions only please ... Pete.

Are you saying the links in the navbar disappear or the pages they link to disappear?

It sounds like a permalinks problem. Our links don't change, but if you hand typed the links in navigation instead of copying and pasting them from the upper right hand side of navigation section they could be misformatted.

If you share a link that would help.

Dan ... the links in the navigation bar below the headers in various blogs have been working fine up until a few days ago when I noticed a couple of them redirecting to the 404 error page. I refreshed several times and re-clicked the links to no avail.
    When I went into the dashboard to check, the URL's were correct so I saved and then checked and all was well.

I checked the next day and some were broken again though not necessarily the same ones on the same blogs. It seems to be very random

I'm going to have to manually check each blog daily now for a while and see if it settles down before I use the Socrates theme any more. It's a shame because I'm a little addicted to it now

Cheers .... Pete.

P.S I have one Socrates themed blog hosted with Yahoo and at about the same time it stopped leting me use the 'visability' link near the update button. It just jumps out of view when clicked. this too was working fine as I have several pages set to private but it won't allow me to anymore. I'm not too keen on re-uploading the file again as last time I did that all the configuration went right out the window and it took me ages to get it back to some normality

Pete,

There's absolutely no correlation to this problem and the Socrates theme.

I had asked for your URL because I would be able to pinpoint the problem.

If it's a Socrates problem I'll give you your money back and you can keep the theme. But I can pretty much guarantee this has nothing to do with our theme.

Either your navlinks are wrong, your permalinks are setup wrong, you have a a caching issue or a bug in wordpress which could be fixed by updating.

Can you share your URL?

Dan, there's no point me sharing the URL because it covers about twelve different ones.
    I'm more than happy to accept it's not the Socrates theme though. The only reason I asked was because if it was, you might have heard from other users and known what to do.

I wouldn't ask for my money back as I think it's a brilliant theme and I'll continue using it and recommending it to others.

I'm assuming it's possibly someone who's a bit cleverer than me and enjoying messing me about

Thanks for your help Dan. It's much appreciated ... Pete

I'm not following the logic on sharing a link. All I need is a url the socrates install.

If you want to PM me the link or admin access I can probably debug it for you in 30 seconds later tonight.

Dan, I've just checked this one and the Contact tab has reverted to 404 error again http://localbusinessbooster.info/

Cheers, Pete.

See your pages widget in sidebar? That shows all your current pages. So basically the entire page is missing from wordpress.

It means the link isn't bad, there's just no page there.

I have never heard of a wordpress page just disappearing, are you sure it's not set to private?

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

I have never heard of a wordpress page just disappearing, are you sure it's not set to private?
    Yes, it is set to private and the link hasn'y vanished. When I go to the Socrates dashboard and then navigation everything is fine. I just press 'save' again and it republishes. I will go back in now and do just that.
    I left it 'as-is' for the time being so that you could check it.

http://japanese-knot-weed.info/

It's a mystery

Pete

For some reason my last post just left out some information I put in there about 2 other blogs that has gone wrong overnight in the same way. It has only included ONE domain and then my sign-off. Having just trawled through my blogs checking, I don't have the energy to do it all again just yet

Pete.