Please Read First
Troubleshooting Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
Before Posting Please Disable Wp Super Cache Plugin
When Posting Please Include Your URL.
Search Forum Using Google Search Box Above
Forum Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why are my posts not showing a comment box?

I have started to enter some posts but the entries are not showing/allowing for people to comment on each post. Went into setting=>discussion and could not find anything causing this to occur. I'll keep looking around but i don't see what the hang up is....
    is this setting in Socrates?

Default is this where It can be fixed?

Please post the URL of the site in question so we can take a look.
    Lynn T. Harrison
    Ever Evolving Enterprises
    LynnTHarrison.com (my blog on using WordPress) Testimonials appreciated

Default Comment box not showing on post

Hi guys,
    I've scoured this forum and cannot find my answer, so here I am.

I've set up a blank page 'Conversations' that my new posts show on. Both the posts and conversation page allow comments in the quick view as well as the top of the page under screen options.

What the heck am I missing?

Thanks! MJ
    www.agileexpressions.com

Comments do not show up on index pages, or pages you use to display blog posts.

It also appears you disabled the author line which displays the comment count in the index or post page.

If you click on the post title "Whew" you can see that comments work perfectly on that post page, and that is exactly how it's supposed to work.

Default Thanks for the quick reply

Thanks for the quick reply Dan!

I had missed the widget that displays 'recent posts', so I thought I had to set up a page for those.

Good grief! So much to learn and the evenings go so dang fast!

Thanks again. MJ

Question Comments Don't Display on Posts Pages?

Hi Dan,

This is in reference to your comment above:
    Comments do not show up on index pages, or pages you use to display blog posts.
    Is this universal to all Wordpress sites or unique to the Socrates theme? It seems crazy to me that you can go into Reading -> Settings and set up a Static Posts Page, but you can't allow comments on that page.

That's like saying "Here's my latest blog post ... go ahead and read it ... oh, but sorry, if you want to leave a comment you'll have to head over to the post's real URL to do that."

Am I correct in assuming that the only way around this would be to put text and a link at the bottom of the post that reads: Click here to go to the post page to leave a reply. ???

That wouldn't even really work, because if a site visitor landed on the real post's URL, it would be confusing because they are already there--along with the comment box.

Workaround ideas? Thanks!

RT

Comments are controlled by Wordpress, and rarely by the theme.

In my quote I'm simply referring to the home page or any kind of an archive/category or magazine template displaying an excerpt. Since most people use the "more tag" and "definitely should" on their index page, then the user has to click to read the full post.

I've never seen a site/theme that allows comments as you ask. And I can't think of a reason why anyone would want people leaving comments except on a full post page. If you allowed comments on pages with multiple posts then the pages could get obscenely long.

In all my years working with Wordpress I've never heard of anyone even requesting this.

How many comments are you receiving now and have you ever seen a website that does what you're asking?
    And why aren't you using the "more tag"? That would seem to be the solution that would most benefit you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Nickerson View Post
    I can't think of a reason why anyone would want people leaving comments except on a full post page. If you allowed comments on pages with multiple posts then the pages could get obscenely long.
    Hi Dan, thanks for the quick reply. You and your team are great. Let me try to make myself clearer.

All am looking for is an easy way for people to leave comments on the "real" post that is simply populating the Static Post Page. Since the Static Post Page isn't linked to the database in the same way that the "real" post page is, it makes sense that this isn't possible to comment from there. I get that.

It just seems like it would be frustrating for people who land on the Statics Post Page--reading the post that is populating it and not realizing that it is not the "real" post page--to not being able to comment on it without having to click on the title of the page to get them to the "real" post page.

Is there a way in Wordpress to have some sort of default link for the "latest blog post" that gets added without having to populate a Static Post Page? The Static Post Page isn't useful as is, but if I could have people click on a link to the latest "real" Post Page without me having to change it to the "real" post's unique URL every time, that would be perfect--because the "real" post pages have the Leave a Comment box.

Also, the blog posts needs to be separate from the other static pages on the site. We have a Static Front Page too.

In a nutshell, I am trying to eliminate a step for people and avoid explaining why the comments on the Static Post Page isn't available.

I hope that is clearer. Thank you.

RT

Most people know to click the "comments" link if they want to leave a comment. And you really should be using the more tag for more reasons than one, and it will solve the issue.

But here's some info on how to code what you want.

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/t...the-index-page

I really think you're making a mistake wasting time on this.. Just use the "more tag"