Troubleshooting Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
Before Posting Please Disable Wp Super Cache Plugin
When Posting Please Include Your URL.
Search Forum Using Google Search Box Above
Forum Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Version 2.03 Official Release

We are pleased to announce that we've released Version 2.03.

This is an Official release and we recommend our customers upgrade their installs to 2.03.

Some of this fixes we've made between 1.2 and 2.02 Beta...

• Added a "Skinny Sales Page" similar to the one at socratestheme.com. You can customize it in css/skinnysalespage.css and salespage2.php
    • Fixed issue with optional blog header turning on/off on old style sales page (issue only with Wordpress 3.0).
    • Fixed header selection on web hosts running PHP4.
    • Checkbox to disable in post ads on a per post basis.
    • Removed reliance on divHeight(), should fix any remaining plugin/overlay/page height issues.
    • Added nofollow/noindex option to page templates.
    • Checkbox to selectively show left and right footer nav on all page templates.
    • Added ability to pick a background color for the header (instead of an image).
    • The about and home links are no longer automatically added back to the main nav when removed.
    • Fixed an issue with the div tags on the index page that would sometimes cause the style to appear different on individual posts than it would on the index page.

We will be releasing more sales page and squeeze page templates in the coming weeks. They have some good basic functionality but we'll continue to improve them and you will be able to simply upload new templates via FTP to your Socrates directory in order to use them.

You can download Version 2.03 Final Here.

Upgrade Instructions

If you would like to upgrade your current install here’s how to do it.

1. Save any custom css, headers or backgrounds to your desktop
    2. Download Version 2.03 Zip from Downloads page.
    3. Open your domain’s Wordpress dashboard
    4. Goto Appearance > Themes and activate another theme... “default” is fine.
    5. Once Socrates is inactive “delete it” (you won’t lose settings)
    6. Goto Appearance > Add New Themes then click “upload”
    7. Locate Zip file on hard drive and upload
    8. Activate Socrates 2.03
    9. Update any new fields you find in layout
    10. Check your headers and reupload any custom header or backgrounds

That’s it. Can take 10 seconds if you’ve done this before.

Do you know what files were changed? I made some modifications to the stylesheet, archive, single, comments and header files so I backed those up and reinstalled Socrates. All seems to be working fine but under themes it says version 2.02.b8.

Thanks
    Jay

Dan or Jon would have to post a list of changed files. You are the second person who says they installed the new version but it still showed the old version number. I would try downloading Socrates again. I know in my installation it says 2.03
    Lynn T. Harrison
    Ever Evolving Enterprises
    LynnTHarrison.com (my blog on using WordPress) Testimonials appreciated

The version number that appears is pulled from the style.css file so if you replaced it with the old one that would be why the old version number is showing up.

Any changes to style.css were minor, I don't think it should cause you any issues if you replaced it with your old one.

The major changes were made to these files:

header.php
    functions.php
    footer.php
    index.php
    single.php

Replacing these files with your old version may give you mixed results. My suggestion would be to integrate your changes into the new version if it is still needed. There were a lot of bug fixes and feature additions in these files.
    Jon Carroll
    Socrates Development Team
    "Wisdom begins in wonder." - Socrates

Thanks Jon. Most of my changes were to the stylesheet so that'll work. I will just use my modified style sheet and use the newer version for everything else.

I change my stylesheet to say 2.03 just for my own reference.

Default Download for 2.03 doesn't seem to be correct file

I downloaded the 2.03 file but it shows it's 645 KB and the prior one I had was over 6 MB? Is something wrong?

Also, I hate to say that I never did install any previous version so this was the first time I installed Socrates, using the 2.03 file I downloaded. When it came up it showed 2.0 beta. What's happening here?

I deleted cookies and tried again and same thing happened.
    Thanks,
    Ed

Ed,

We mentioned in some of our early posts about Version 2.0 that all the headers are now remotely loaded.. that's what took up all the space in Version 1.

I can't explain why you're seeing the beta... Are you saying the screenshot in Appearance > Themes says 2.0 Beta.

Where do you see it? It's not in the current zip.

(just heading to bed)

Dan, thanks for your quick reply. Now I understand, so I loaded Socrates 2.03. On the Themes page it shows Socrates 2.03 so I guess it's okay. However, if I click on the word "Socrates" in the left column of links, a page comes up with this at the top of it:
    " Version 2.0 Beta - If you experience any issues check the FAQ page as we update it often.. more support resources coming soon. In our download area you will find tutorials, Socrates updates and more information."

I think I'm okay to start setting it up.
    Thanks again,
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Ed,

We mentioned in some of our early posts about Version 2.0 that all the headers are now remotely loaded.. that's what took up all the space in Version 1.

I can't explain why you're seeing the beta... Are you saying the screenshot in Appearance > Themes says 2.0 Beta.

Where do you see it? It's not in the current zip.

(just heading to bed)

Hi Ed

The version you have is the latest 2.03.

The bit that says: " Version 2.0 Beta - If you experience any issues check the FAQ page as we update it often.. more support resources coming soon. In our download area you will find tutorials, Socrates updates and more information." is actually being fed from the Socrates site so I guess that page will be updated soon.

The team probably thought it more important to get us the latest release, just shows what an observant bunch of users we are
    Phil Horsepool
    Creative Web Design
    Web Design and SEO Services
    for Marketers and Small Businesses

Create Explosive Backlinks - Free Download

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jv63 View Post
    Do you know what files were changed? I made some modifications to the stylesheet, archive, single, comments and header files so I backed those up and reinstalled Socrates. All seems to be working fine but under themes it says version 2.02.b8.

Thanks
    Jay
    I had the same issue