Troubleshooting Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
Before Posting Please Disable Wp Super Cache Plugin
When Posting Please Include Your URL.
Search Forum Using Google Search Box Above
Forum Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WP Pages vs Posts

I have a question more general to WordPress than to Socrates, but since I'm using Socrates to create my sites, I thought I'd check here.

Simply - For SEO purposes, how do optimized pages compare to optimized posts? I know that with posts one can include categories and tags, but I find that I lean towards using pages when I create a site.

Does anyone have feedback or knowledge on this?

As always, thanks in advance!
    Garry Dufresne

The categories and tags will improve your SEO as long as the keywords in each line up with the content.
    Lynn T. Harrison
    Ever Evolving Enterprises
    LynnTHarrison.com (my blog on using WordPress) Testimonials appreciated

You can always install the 'Simple Tags' plugin.

This allows you to tag your pages as well as your posts
    Phil Horsepool
    Creative Web Design
    Web Design and SEO Services
    for Marketers and Small Businesses

Create Explosive Backlinks - Free Download

I posted the same question on another forum. It seems the consensus is that posts are better for SEO than pages.

I would like this to be different as I love using pages . . .

GARRY
    Garry Dufresne

If you are blogging, as in posting articles or content on a regular basis than you should use posts.

If you are creating a static affiliate site with just a few pages of content you can use pages.

I only use pages for things like.. Privacy, Contact, Terms, FAQ..

I don't put articles into Pages.

There's a reason that pages don't go into RSS feeds or categories.. only posts do.

Red face More on this page/post business

What if you have a general theme as your main site, but you are also trying to rank for multiple long tail keywords? For example, pretend that I am trying to develop a site on Birds as Pets. I have the domain birdsaspets.com but I am also trying to rank for parrots, canaries, emus and vultures.
    If I have an icon for each of these delightful pets on my home page that opens up to the pages for each, wouldn't I be able to direct traffic from the pages themselves and begin to rank that way? For example, I could write an ezine article and link to the vulture page. It shouldn't be too hard to get to page one of "vulture as pet" on Google.

And could the Socrates theme help me with this little project? I mean how would I place icons on my bird home page that would lead to all my subcategories?

You would add the images to your home page using the page editor. Then select each image and hit the link button in the toolbar (looks like a short chain). Then enter the URL in the dialog that pops up to the page you want that image to link to. Repeat for each image.
    Lynn T. Harrison
    Ever Evolving Enterprises
    LynnTHarrison.com (my blog on using WordPress) Testimonials appreciated

And you're still better off making categories for the types of birds and then writing posts about them in the proper category.

Here's another way to look at this..

A Post is a better indexed, more versatile version of a Page. It gets indexed better, organized better, and will help your site get more traffic than a page.

They are both still web pages, they both can be used in navigation or linked to images..

Is there a way to have multiple "post" pages or pages that can also contain posts? I'm having a great deal of difficulty creating the kind of site I want without using pages. I want a static home page but I would like to add posts to it. I want to be able to add posts to each of my content pages. Is there any way to do this? What I don't want is a typical blog. I need to have my content more organized than that.

Thanks.

Just create your pages and make one your "front page" in Settings > Reading

Then create a page for your posts.. name it whatever you want like "Blog" or "News" and make it your "Blog Posts" page in Settings > Reading.

Then add that page to your menu. All your visitors will see is what you show them.. If your menu has all "Pages" and then only the one you name "blog" or "news" will link to your posts... Or even simpler, you just add a link to your "post's category" in the menu.