Before Posting Please Disable Wp Super Cache Plugin
When Posting Please Include Your URL.
Search Forum Using Google Search Box Above
Forum Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Font Control

Default Font Control

I'm loving Socrates . . .

But I've also used Thesis, and I love the font controls is gives for posts and pages. I'd love to see something like this incorporated into Socrates.

The whole idea of Socrates to me is that it makes the whole process of creating and monetizing a site so simple. If I have to go in and start messing with style sheets, it just takes that much more time.

Keep up the great work.
    Garry Dufresne

What do you mean by 'font control'?

Are you talking about selecting a completely different font for the whole site, or the sizing, colors and formatting of individual parts of the text?

I'm not familiar with all the workings of Thesis but my understanding is that a lot of the changes are done by additions to the custom css and functions files accessed through the admin area, which is really just a different way of messing with style sheets.

Sometimes less is more, and getting good content on a page is one of the best ways that I know of monetizing a site
    Phil Horsepool
    Creative Web Design
    Web Design and SEO Services
    for Marketers and Small Businesses

Video Brander Software - Free Trial Copy

Create Explosive Backlinks - Free Download

Quote Originally Posted by compusol View Post
    What do you mean by 'font control'?

Are you talking about selecting a completely different font for the whole site, or the sizing, colors and formatting of individual parts of the text?

I'm talking about easily selecting the font for post and page content, along with the line spacing.

I agree that we want quick and simple. Changing the font doesn't need to be complicated. Thesis by default gives you a choice, but limits them to web compliant fonts.

GARRY
    Garry Dufresne

We may add some system font controls in 3.0. They can be changed in a couple of seconds in the styles.css file.

We designed Socrates for readability and monetization and really want our users to make the most money possible with their sites.. That's why we chose the font scheme we're currently using.

If you don't want to edit the CSS files there are a couple of plugins that will control the fonts from within the WP admin area.

'Font Burner' is one of them and has many users.

I can't vouch for it personally as I'm very much into changing CSS files the old way
    Phil Horsepool
    Creative Web Design

Personally, I would LOVE to see more control for the fonts in Socrates as well. I understand where Dan is coming from and the main aim of Socrates is for one to launch full-feature sites with minimum sites.

However, in my personal opinion, fonts play an important role on the site, not just for the search engine bots but also for the human eye. Perhaps its time to address not only the searchability of the site but also the human aspect. Socrates can only grow from here and I would to see Socrates go into a product that caters to both the "beginners" as well as the "more advanced"

For the sake of discussion the following are the minimal changes that I have to make before I launch any site on Socrates

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    STYLE.CSS - EDIT H1 STYLE FOR MORE SPACING
    CHANGE
    h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 { margin:0px 0px 5px; }
    TO
    h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 { margin:0px 0px 5px; padding:10px 0px 0px 0px; }
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    STYLE.CSS - ADD IN NEW STYLE COPYRIGHT2
    ADD
    .copyright2 { font-size:80%; text-align:center;}
    STYLE.CSS - EDIT FONTS
    CHANGE
    font-size: 9pt;
    font-family: 'lucida grande', Verdana, Sans-Serif;
    TO
    font-size:11px;
    font-family: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;

I can see where you are coming from when you want control over fonts and spacing, etc.

It's very much a personal thing wanting total control over a site, a bit like changing colors and graphics to suit a theme.

Socrates already goes further than most themes that I have used, and I've used more than a few, in allowing easy header, background and text style color changes, maybe font changes are for a future release.

Out of interest I've just quickly gone through around a hundred different themes that I have in my collection.

Know how many allow font changes WITHOUT going into the CSS?

One, and it's not Thesis.

Maybe you will start a new trend
    Phil Horsepool
    Creative Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by compusol View Post
    I've just quickly gone through around a hundred different themes that I have in my collection.

Know how many allow font changes WITHOUT going into the CSS?

One, and it's not Thesis.
    I suppose there are certainly different definitions of font control . . . but I'm curious which version of Thesis you took a look at. I'm pretty sure version 1.7 added some new control that didn't exist before.
    Garry Dufresne

I agree, I've tried 100's of wordpress themes.. ability to control in post fonts outside of the stylesheet is very rare.

And the human aspect is exactly why we chose the fonts we did, it all comes down to readability.. we've only had a couple of requests to change the font style. When you consider we've got over 4,000 Socrates users already, that means people are pretty happy with the font..

That being said.. I would expect us to have a font option in 3.0

Just a follow up to my request . . .

It appears that the TinyMCE Advanced Plugin gives me the font control I was wanting. I had known about this plug in but spaced it out.

For me personally, as long as I can use this plug in, I see no reason to add the functionality to Socrates itself.
    Garry Dufresne