Frequently Asked Questions
Before Posting Please Disable Wp Super Cache Plugin
When Posting Please Include Your URL.
Search Forum Using Google Search Box Above
Forum Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Comments for Homepage NOT for Posts

Hi everyone!

Is there a workaround for having a comments section in the homepage (below all the posts)?

It's not a comment section for any post or page. It's a comment section for the homepage itself.

In fact, I do not plan that the posts have comments section. I only want the homepage to have one.

I guess my site would be more interactive if there was.

Thanks.

You can use a page as a static home page and enable comments just for it.
    Lynn T. Harrison
    Ever Evolving Enterprises
    LynnTHarrison.com (my blog on using WordPress) Testimonials appreciated

From day one I've been having issues with how my comments box works. I want a comment box to show IMMEDIATELY after a post before anything else... and I want it to show after each and every post, regardless of how it was accessed. Even if someone clicked on the "blog" menu, or came in from a link to a particular post, I ALWAYS want my reader to have an opportunity to engage, and I want them to see that box before they see any of the other widgets or anything else. Can you help me with this? If you need admin access to do it for me, please let me know.

http://parentingtodaytips.com/blog/

Thanks in advance
    Rodney C. Davis

You've added a bunch of extra plugins that come after the post, and they'll probably appear the same way on any theme you use. The comment coding comes after no matter what..

I want to be clear to any other readers that your post is referring to all the extra stuff you've added and not Socrates functionality.

I don't know a way to do what you ask, unless you were to use a 3rd party commenting plugin in lieu of wordpress commenting.. Facebook comments for example. You can hire someone to try and code this for you, but it's not something we can do.

My experience tells me that this is not an issue. If someone wants to leave a comment, then they will be willing to scroll the extra few inches to do so. You can always add a signature that encourages users to comment as well.

You can add it using the Socrates bottom post ad function. Just create a nice image or text code that says something to encourage discussion.

Thanks for the heads up about the extra plug-ins and text, Dan. I'll get rid of them or place them elsewhere, and also take your advice about the bottom ad.

I'm afraid this IS an issue for my blog though. Most of my readers don't even know what a blog is, much less that you can comment on one, and have been spoiled by Facebook, where the open space is right there to start typing on impulse.

It would be less of an issue if they don't have to click on something first before they see an open box. Unless I'm mistaken, the box only opens if they came in from a link to that particular post. On my site, my homepage is an opt-in form, but if someone came in through the "blog" page, they have to click "leave a comment" before the comment-box opens. Aside from the nature of my audience, I think I DO lose substantial engagement with my posts that way.

Can THAT be fixed?

Rodney

http://parentingtodaytips.com/blog/

Fixing implies something is broken. This is how all blogs and themes work and it's definitely the norm.

You're not using the "more tag" enough... if you do that will solve the problem for you.

Use the "more tag" to break up your posts on the "blog page" that will take them to the full post. It's how most all blogs and news sites work. The home page or blog page shows excerpts which compels the reader to learn more about the story.

And this way you can show more content on the blog page which gives your readers more reason to click into your site. And then, they'll never have to click "leave a comment" it will always be open.

Your current blog page is not organized well at all.

1. Insert the more tags in all your posts at a compelling point in the copy after 100-150 words
    2. Add "recent comments" to the sidebar
    3. Add "Categories" to the sidebar
    4. Add "tag cloud" to the sidebar.

If the optin form isn't producing results consider removing it from the sidebar and using a popup.. And make your offer
    more compelling.. It should be "101 Parenting Tips" or something to that effect.

To engage the readers ask questions in your post titles.. How would you handle this parenting situation? etc..

OK thanks. Just for everyone to know, Every single challenge I've had with Socrates Dan has addressed with a VERY quick response. And even when I'm the one that needs "fixing" as this thread shows, he doesn't hesitate to offer free advice.

Thanks again, Dan. You're highly appreciated.

Rodney

Rodney,

You're very welcome..

Hi Dan,

My mission is to have the comments section appear on the bottom of every post on the home page. Currently, by Wordpress default, there seems to be no way to enable this.
    So, I tried, in your suggestion above, to add the "comments.php" into a bottom post ad function. The comments appear, but php lines are showing up which are not wanted, nor needed. Is there a simple comments html file that can be copied into the post ad?
    Second, tried to delete the "comments.php" from the post ad function (i.e. undo above), but now my layout section of Socrates does not appear. Hate to have to reinstall Socrates and lose all the other setups. Is there a solution?
    site is www.stateoftheleft.com
    Thanks in advance.
    Rel

Rel,

I never suggested above to add comments.php to the post ad function. I had said to put a message there to encourage users to post comments. Like a text message or banner.

It's a really bad idea to put comments on every post of a homepage. That's why it's rarely ever done and no plugin developer has ever created a solution for it. It's bad for your visitors, bad for your rankings and bad for your site. Trust me, don't do it.

Commenters know how to use Wordpress comments.

Now if you put comments.php code into that box, you've essentially borked the code on the page because you've inserted raw php code and scripting into the database.

If deleting the code from all the fields in Socrates > Layout doesn't work, You're going to need to go into PHPMyAdmin and clean out the Socrates layout options from the wp_options database table. Deleting Socrates won't work.

Or the simpler method would be to install the Options Optimizer plugin and delete the socratesOptions option. I just tested this and it worked.

Then you'll need to reset up the options.