Please Read First
Troubleshooting Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
Before Posting Please Disable Wp Super Cache Plugin
When Posting Please Include Your URL.
Search Forum Using Google Search Box Above
Forum Video

Default Sub-directory bugs

Maybe nobody else has done this, or maybe I just don't know how to search efficiently, but here goes...

I have installed Wordpress in a sub-folder relative to my root domain. So, the site is domain.com, and the Wordpress install is in domain.com/blog (or similar). In the blog's index.php file I have changed the initial path (as per Wordpress' recommendations) to require './blog/wp-blog-header.php'. This loads Wordpress from the sub-domain up to the root directory.

When I visit the site, I do it by browsing to domain.com

When I visit the admin area, I do it by browsing to domain.com/blog/wp-admin

So, now I'm having issues with setting up Socrates, specifically selecting a header. When I click on one of the headers, it tries to redirect to domain.com rather than domain.com/blog. The other setup options have worked OK so far.

Now, what I assume is that the code behind the images either defaults the domain name, or does not properly use the Wordpress constants to build URLs (like ABSPATH or similar).

(Note: I did try making the blog url and site url the same while I updated Socrates, and then changed the site url back. That seemed "take".)

Another irritation - the blog title and blog description looked fine when I was editing them in Socrates, but when I actually displayed the site, the description is scrunched up into the title. I had to add custom CSS to modify the description top padding, but when I clicked save the preset style went away, and now my background is missing.

Uh oh - showstopper. To fix the description, I have to add custom CSS. When I add custom CSS the preset style goes away and the background disappears. To fix the background, I have to to set a preset style, which makes the custom css go away and the description is off again. Vicious cycle, that.

I hate having to mess with stylesheets.

Edit: Forgot to mention - Socrates 3.2
    Last edited by wwday3; 04-27-2012 at 10:28 AM.

We have a few posts on this.. Socrates header does require that you have the same path in blog/site url in general settings or custom css is required.

There is a bit of scrunching in 3.02 and we'll fix in 3.03 hopefully coming out tomorrow.

Sorry about the extra step required. It's actually extremely rare for users to set two different paths.. it's only come up a few times in the last 2 years and 90,000 installs.

Can you point me to where you read this is the recommended way that Wordpress wants users to install. I don't see any language to that effect on their codex. Some security tutorials recommend it, but if it were a big issue than all the automated installers would be recommending and implementing that setup as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Nickerson View Post
    Can you point me to where you read this is the recommended way that Wordpress wants users to install. I don't see any language to that effect on their codex. Some security tutorials recommend it, but if it were a big issue than all the automated installers would be recommending and implementing that setup as well.
    Actually I found this page http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_Wo..._Own_Directory when searching for .htaccess solutions. When I read about making Wordpress load at the root, I smacked my head and thought "Now, why didn't I think of that". I've done it before for other external scripts I've added to WP installs. Much cleaner, in my opinion, than messing with .htaccess (which I ALWAYS mess up - never fails).

Look in the "Moving a Root install to its own directory" section.

And, why I am doing it is exactly because of security. I've had several of my sites hacked recently, and it took hours and hours to clean those messes up (not to mention lose pissed-off visitors). So, I decided to "hide" WP from prying eyes as much as possible. This is a great way to do it (if you don't name the sub-directory "wordpress" or something obvious like that).

By the way, overall I'm really digging Socrates 3.

Actually it doesn't hide it.. All one has to do is view source... You should see the path to the installed directory..

The only real benefit is in keeping your root directory better organized..

Glad you're enjoying 3.0...

True, but if you rename your prefix, and put WP in it's own directory, then the view source will look something like

http://domain.com/kjksdfu/kjknncontent/plugins.....

Not obviously WP just by looking at it. I'll do anything at this point to make life annoying for the hackers (since I can't declare open season on them).

Locks and keys keep honest people honest.

True... but when you do a setup like that and hackers notice.. you then make yourself a target because you've separated yourself from the millions of users who don't... Hackers like a challenge.