Please Read First
Troubleshooting Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
Before Posting Please Disable Wp Super Cache Plugin
When Posting Please Include Your URL.
Search Forum Using Google Search Box Above
Forum Video

Default Magazine Theme Question

I finally decided to put the magazine (1) layout to good use. But, it's not working quite like I expected. Here's what I did.

1. Created a new page for the layout.
    2. Selected the "Magazine 1" layout as the template.
    3. Set the new page as the "home" page for the blog.
    4. Created a featured category.
    5. Added a featured image to my post and assigned the post to the featured category.
    6. Checked it out. The slider worked as expected.

So, the issue I'm having is this. The post already had an image embedded inside the post. Now, in the index underneath the slider, I see the same post, but both images are present (the featured image is being rendered as a thumbnail). If I click on the post and go to the single post page, I only see the image originally embedded in the post.

I have "Enable Featured Thumbnails On Index Page" unchecked, assuming that would fix the double image issue. It did not. The "Enable Category Thumbnails" option is still checked, but I want that feature. Seems that maybe the magazine layout page is not being detected as an index page (or home page)?

Also, a suggestion. It would be real cool if the slider could have the option to just grab the first post image instead of requiring a featured image. Other sliders have that capability.

Most people want monetization instead of the image. So the featured image creates a thumbnail for a home or directory style page, and then you can have monetization such as adsense in post on the full post page.

So you shouldn't embed the image if you're going to use the slider.

If the slider used the first image, then that would cause issues for those people who want to place image ads or other types of graphics in the post. And size wise it would be a mess because the images wouldn't necessary size correctly to the slider.

The enable featured thumbnails on index page, is for the main index page.. (non magazine template, normal home page)

I'm sorry if this isn't the way you want it setup.. It hasn't been an issue yet. If we get more inquiries about this, we might consider changing or offering another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Nickerson View Post
    Most people want monetization instead of the image. So the featured image creates a thumbnail for a home or directory style page, and then you can have monetization such as adsense in post on the full post page.

So you shouldn't embed the image if you're going to use the slider.

If the slider used the first image, then that would cause issues for those people who want to place image ads or other types of graphics in the post. And size wise it would be a mess because the images wouldn't necessary size correctly to the slider.

The enable featured thumbnails on index page, is for the main index page.. (non magazine template, normal home page)

I'm sorry if this isn't the way you want it setup.. It hasn't been an issue yet. If we get more inquiries about this, we might consider changing or offering another option.
    Really, don't you think if the option says "No thumbnails on the index page", then it should be "No thumbnails on the index page" - regardless if you are using a regular page as home or the default post "list"? I don't see how it being a "special" template should make any difference.

That's exactly what it is.. the index.php page. A special template is another page. If a special template is used as the home page, it's considered the "front page", it's not the index page.

If someone uses the magazine templates they usually do it specifically for the thumbnails. I agree that there could conceivably be an option to remove them from the magazine template. but you are the first one to ask. If we get more requests it will be considered.

I guess I'm really confused then. I thought the point of the magazine templates was an emphasis on the slider, and not an emphasis on the thumbnails. The thumbnails are already available in the "index" page and the category page.

Do you (or anyone) not embed images in your posts? Do you only use featured images?

No, magazine templates are more an emphasis on thumbnails, then the slider... think of a typical magazine design.

No, I do not embed images in posts. It's a waste of space. The idea is that with a magazine theme, you lure them to click the article with an image, instead of text, but then you need the space on the full post to show content and advertising.

Hey Dan

I've been reading 3 days now all posts about magazine set up....i've fixed it and it's all ok.

I need to change slider slides to 10 than default 5.....where can i find this command.

I've looked in magazine1.php but i can't find something similar there.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time

P.S. magazine template conflicts with HeadJS WP Plugin.....it shows a grey slider with no images in....disabling it fixed the issue.
    Internet Marketing # SEO & Social Media Evangelist. Founder of V&J Innovations Ltd [SEO & Social Media Services].

It's in socrates/slider/slider.php

Look for: $wp_query = new WP_Query('posts_per_page=5&category_name=featured' );

Change the 5

Thank you very much!!!

Last question....Do you know if the slider loads the images at the start page (meaning that will increase my home page size and loading time) ??

Thanks
    Internet Marketing # SEO & Social Media Evangelist. Founder of V&J Innovations Ltd [SEO & Social Media Services].

Yes, they should.. that's why it's rare to use more than five.. just make sure the images are optimized.