Troubleshooting Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
Before Posting Please Disable Wp Super Cache Plugin
When Posting Please Include Your URL.
Search Forum Using Google Search Box Above
Forum Video

Default Help needed to widen the right side bar of my Socrates Theme

Hello!

I would very much appreciate if someone could assist me in widening the righthand sidebar of my Socrates theme (I have sidebars on either side) from 150/200 to 250 pixels. (I'm not sure if the righthand bar is 150 or 200 because the illustration with the two bars does not give the pixels; however, I am assuming they are equal, though the illustration of the righthand bar looks a little larger than the left, but that maybe optical illusion). I would prefer not to widen it to 300 pixels unless absolutely necessary, so that I can leave a good space for the middle column for posts, etc.

I am going to ask what is probably a silly question regarding the 300 pixels, because, when I explained my problem to Dan he told me to go with the 300 pixels if I wanted more space for the middle column; so are 200 or 250 pixels bigger or smaller than 300 pixels? Otherwise, I cannot understand how it would make my mid-column larger as I have a sidebar on each side. I realize I must have misunderstood in some way, but please make allowances as I am quite a 'newbie.'

Also, somewhere I saw that Dan said to disable a particular plugin before doing or making any changes or modifications to Socrates - however, I do not have any Socrates plugins - only the plugins that transferred from my previous NeoClassical theme and none of them is the plugin Dan spoke of - I thought he mentioned it in the pre-forum video but I've played that twice with no luck.

I would be so grateful if someone could assist me as I need to put an AWeber optin webform (which I have made already - it is parked at AWeber and I can handle that) on the right sidebar of my blog as soon as I possibly can: [url]http://www.amberdawncusackim.com.

If it is more direct, my email address is: [/email] adtaurusred@gmail.com [/email]; I'm not sure I can find my way back to responses in the forum at this stage. Though Dan gave a great presentation about the forum, I am just not used to forums and get very confused and discombobulated!
    Thank you so much,
    Amber-Dawn

Amber-Dawn,

To answer your question regarding pixel size, a sidebar that is 300 pixels wide would indeed be wider than a sidebar that is 150 pixels wide.

There must have been some misunderstanding because if you do want more space in the middle (content) column, then yes you would want to use sidebars with less pixels.

That being said, Socrates comes with a handful of default options for sidebars and sidebar sizes. Using only 1 sidebar will give you the most space in the middle column, and if you use the 150px single sidebar, that will give you the most room. If you wish to change the size of the sidebars beyond the default options, that too can be done by editing source code. Not an impossible task be any means, although it can be a little tricky.

To do that, you would need to edit the subsequent .css file. These are located in the web directory themes > Socrates > css. There you will find files such as styleLeftSide150.css, or styleRightSide150.css, or styleLeftSide300.css and so on. If you wish to increase the left 150px sidebar, then you will need to edit the styleLeftSide150.css. Within that file you will see this code:
    Code:
    /* ------------------------------------- Content -------------------------------------------------------------- */
    .im-mainContent	 	{ padding:0px 10px 0px 10px; border-left:3px double #e2e2e2;  width:772px; float:right; left:-5px;  }
    .im-sidebar		 	{ padding:0px 5px 5px 15px; float:left; width:160px; border-right:3px double #e2e2e2;  height:100%; margin-bottom:5px;}
    .im-sidebar2	 	{ display:none;}

.sidebar ul				{ width:300px; list-style:none; left:-12px; position:relative}
    .sidebar li				{ margin:0px 0px 10px;}
    .sidebar li	li			{ position:relative; margin:1px 0px 2px 20px;}
    You will need to make 2 edits (highlighted in red): 1) to decrease the main column size in the amount that you 2) increase the left sidebar.
    Your new code should reflect:

Code:
    /* ------------------------------------- Content -------------------------------------------------------------- */
    .im-mainContent	 	{ padding:0px 10px 0px 10px; border-left:3px double #e2e2e2;  width:722px; float:right; left:-5px;  }
    .im-sidebar		 	{ padding:0px 5px 5px 15px; float:left; width:210px; border-right:3px double #e2e2e2;  height:100%; margin-bottom:5px; font-size:70%}
    .im-sidebar2	 	{ display:none;}

.sidebar ul				{ width:140px; list-style:none; left:-12px; position:relative; overflow:hidden;}
    .sidebar li				{ margin:0px 0px 10px;}
    .sidebar li	li			{ position:relative; list-style:circle; margin:0px 0px 0px 30px;}
    Save the file and then upload it back to the server, overwriting the existing file. Please be sure to make a backup of this file before you modify!!!

The plugin that Dan speaks of, the one that needs to be disable is a default Wordpress plugin. If you have not yet disable any plugins then chances are it is still installed and active. That plugin is called WP SuperCache and can be found in your dashboard under Plugins > Plugins.

I hope I have answered all your questions, please feel free to ask if you have more. I will email this response to your email as well.

Hey Guys

See this site http://www.chinawholesalectronics.com/

I alter the two settings and nothing has happened.

Using the rightstyle300 file content changed to 727, sidebar changed down to 215.

Right bar has not moved in width at all.

Sorry need to make this clearer.

I actually altered the styleLeftSide300.css but could not get the left css stle to change at all. I put the original css file back for the time being.

Any assistance appreciated.

Do not use WP SuperCache plug in, it was uninstalled at time of WP installation.

Many thanks
    Last edited by nzcid; 02-26-2013 at 02:11 AM.

Hi nzcid,

Do you have a particular reason for wanting to siden your sidebar? From my browser, it looks like the perfect width for your content.
    Leilani Clifford
    - Forum Admin

----------------------------
    We're building our Socrates Facebook community! Come visit us, and Like us to stay up to date on everything Socrates
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/socrateswptheme
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/socratestheme

Greetings Leilani

Had some help to put togther some custom CSS which has altered the sidebar width.

Many thanks for your assistance though.

No problem, looks great.
    Leilani Clifford
    - Forum Admin

----------------------------
    We're building our Socrates Facebook community! Come visit us, and Like us to stay up to date on everything Socrates
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/socrateswptheme
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/socratestheme