Frequently Asked Questions
Before Posting Please Disable Wp Super Cache Plugin
When Posting Please Include Your URL.
Search Forum Using Google Search Box Above
Forum Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dealing with comments that are trying to sell their own page

Hi,

lately I've been receiving quite a number of comments on my blog, which we are very happy that we are gaining some good readership. However among these are some from people who are just posting to try to sell their IM schemes. For now we are going to put them into spam before it gets really rampant. But I'm also in a dilemma, what if these are genuine schemes that work?

I would like ask fellow bloggers, especially if you are writing about gaining financial freedom and such, what do you think of such comments, what would you do?

Thanks!

My opinion its going to be a judgement call on your part. It will be pretty easy to tell who is trying to truly contribute and who is just trying to get a link put up.

If you have a loyal reader that is posting often and brings value to your site, let them post. If it is obvious they are looking out for them, put them in their place.

Having a quick look at your site shows me that your commenters are in the main just link building.

As an example, on your post 'A little everyday, Makes a lot at the end of the day' I see four comments, with four replies from you.

The first comment from Kei is a genuine one, that reader has actually visited your blog.

The other three are examples of comment spam that is far too common.

If ever you see comments like:

Hey, magic post, but WordPress screws it up on my screen. Maybe itís the widget you are using. Have you tried a different CMS?
    or

Hi People I am New, I have been browsing around this message board for a few hours as a guest. I found it useful and it has helped me allot. I hope to stick around for abit and give something back. Thanks.
    or

I was just reading through your site itís very well written, What iím searching through the internet looking for just how to do this blog site thing and your blog happens to be quite high quality.
    you know straight away that they go in the bin.

The chances are that the commenter has simply used automated software to find your blog, posted in a stock comment, and hopes that it sticks.

They will do this thousands of times with the hope of gaining a few backlinks from people who approve their comments.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disapprove of blog commenting, I do it all the time, but if someone is going to comment on a post at least make sure that the comment is useful, and pertinent, to the content in the same way that your first comment is.

If you use Akismet it will catch a lot of this, or at least hold it so that you can trash it easily.
    Phil Horsepool
    Creative Web Design
    Web Design and SEO Services
    for Marketers and Small Businesses

Create Explosive Backlinks - Free Download

Do you have Akismet activated? It will trap much of this auto-spam.
    Lynn T. Harrison
    Ever Evolving Enterprises
    LynnTHarrison.com (my blog on using WordPress) Testimonials appreciated

EHiatt121 & compusol:
    Thanks for the advise. Frankly speaking I couldnt tell if those comments highlighted by compusol are spam or not. The ones I was speaking about are actually not those, but worse, really just commenting with a sales pitch of the product and a url. I actually did not approved them so it was not shown. But I was wondering what if the offers were genuine and would help the readers...

But I was upset when someone posted (with the same kind of offers) and added in a nasty comment about us approving "useless" comments while not letting him/her post his/her links.

lynnth:
    I didnt. Did not think that we would receive too many comments to handle on our own. Just went to activate anyway

Welcome to the world of blogging

It's your blog, you decide exactly what you are going to allow in the way of comments.

Personally if there is ANY sales pitch or product URL in the comment itself I delete it automatically.

I do allow someone to use a link to a product or site in their author name (i.e. Web URL filled in when they comment) IF the comment contains information pertinent to the post being commented on.

If they are stock comments, such as the ones I mentioned previously, they are trashed.

From experience I have found that as soon as you allow product pitches in a comment you open your site up for the kind of nasty replies that you have received.

And you also have to bear in mind that every time a visitor to your blog clicks on a link in one of these comments they leave your site and possibly won't come back!

Akismet is activated on every blog that I have, no exceptions.

Even my lowest traffic blogs receive more comments than I care to deal with manually due to the amount of automated scripts that search out for new blogs to add their c**p to!

Be ruthless, cull out all the dross, and make your blog something that you are proud of
    Phil Horsepool
    Creative Web Design
    Web Design and SEO Services
    for Marketers and Small Businesses

Create Explosive Backlinks - Free Download

Of course, on your WP dashboard, you can always go to "settings", click on "discussion" and tailor comments as you wish. Among other things, you can check a box marked, "An administrator must always approve the comment".

Since I'm just trying to sell stuff, and not educate, inspire or stimulate discussion or debate, I eliminate all comments. This is helpful if you have a multitude of sites. Then you don't have any comment spam headaches.

compusol: Thanks for the encouragement and advise. I guess you are right, I was going to open a can of worms if I allow one or two of those sale comments to go up.

potentmix: I'm monitoring the comments and manually approving them...

But I guess I have to let akismet do the job to save myself the trouble and annoyance.

Others have answered most of the issues. Whether automated or not, there are always just a lot of plain link building comments. You can avoid it.

Once in a while I will approve them. Sometimes I will approve them after I've deleted the back links. Most I probably just delete or ignore.

I have a certain degree of sympathy for these folks as we ALL need to work on building back links . . . but some of them are so over the top or obviously junk that I can't give 'em the time of day.

GARRY
    Garry Dufresne

Unfortunately you'll find that 99% of comments are just spam. Askimet will filter out the majority of those and that should leave just a small handful for you to trash.

I only ever approve comments that are legitimate, ie: written by a person who has read the article and added an insightful comment.
    Peter Sundstrom

Ultimate Marketing Strategies

What WordPress Theme Is That? - Easily find out what WP theme a site is using